Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have recently set up a new ipad pro, copyint all

I have recently set up a new ipad pro, copyint all onformation from my old ipad.
JA: What Apple model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: Everything seems to have come across with one exception. The autofill when typing an email address looks at contacts but does not seem to have access to the separate "recently used" email addresses. Is there any way I can copy that across from the old ipad.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The new iPad is the 11 inch 2020 pro with a magic keyboard. I think it is probably ipados 13.5

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. Are you using a Windows computer right now? or a Mac?
  2. Have you checked your iCloud account to see your contacts there?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
windows
it is not the contacts I am missing. It is the list of recently used email addresses. The contacts seem to have come across satisfactorily. The problem is that I haven't stored email addresses in contacts. I just use it on the iphone for phone numbers
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I would like to be sure that I have properly explained my problem before granting remote access

Thank you for writing back with that information. Unfortunately, the email app that you are using will store the "autofill" information for your recently used email address and it is stored locally.

It can also happen in web browsers.

If this is happening in a web browser like Chrome, all you need to do is SIGN IN to your Google account, the one you were signed in to in the old device. Everything in the Chrome browser will be synced in both devices.

Please tell me where this is happening, so that I can tell you if this can be copied over to the new iPad.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I get confused by web browsers. I am using Safari and as far as I know it is as it was delivered I don't know whether it is the same as google
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I get confused by web browsers. I am using Safari and as far as I know it is as it was delivered I don't know whether it is the same as googleBut my concern is mainly in the email addresses

A web browser is an app on your iPad that you used to access or browse websites. Are you saying that this is also the app that you use to access your emails?

I am asking because you can use a general email app. For email providers like Gmail or Yahoo, they also have their own app.

So please confirm, are you using Safari to access your email accounts where the autofill is no longer working in the NEW iPad?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No, I am just using the ordinary email app that came as standard on the ipad

So you are saying that, this "autofill" is for that email app only, and NOT on Safari.

For instance, you want to signup for a particular website, or buy something from a website and you are presented with a form asking for your name, email, etc. Is that where you want the autofill for?

Or are you referring to email addresses you recently sent emails?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My current concern is with the automatic completion of email addresses from the list of recently used emails. The new ipad does not seem to have access to the recently used email addresses on the old ipad

Thank you for that confirmation. Unfortunately, that is NOT possible on an iPad using its default apps. There are tools though that can be used to retrieve those data from the OLD iPad that you can then import to the new iPad. The process is technical and requires a commercial software. Another approach requires access to Terminal, a command line tool for Mac, which is not present in iPad.

If you want to tinker on the procedures so that you can decide better, here are the link:

For the command line or Terminal approach:

https://superuser.com/questions/192227/how-to-export-email-addresses-from-apple-mail

For the commercial software approach:

https://www.icopybot.com/blog/all-about-cached-email-address-history-of-iphone-and-ipad.htm

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. That looks way beyond my competence. can you do it remotely? The ipads are not linked to a pc

Unfortunately, our remote access tool does not support iPads. It only works with Windows computers.