Rafi
Rafi, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  IT Manager
106284071

I keep getting crashes when I game. Sometimes it’s 30mins

Customer Question

I keep getting crashes when I game. Sometimes it’s 30mins other times it’s 1hr. I play with a 4K monitor at 60+ frames with a rtx 2070. I also put my settings on ultra in total war three kingdoms because the game plays really smoothly. However, the game then partially freezes. For example, I am able to click a few menus but can’t move or I can still here the game audio. I wondering if my GPU is faulty or am I stressing the GPU too much which is causing it to crash.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not overclocked.
Specs:
B450 motherboard
RTX 2070
Ray zen 5 3600
32GB ram 2666
650w PSU Bronze
Liquid cooler
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer an independent paid Question & Answer web portal. I am Rafi with 15+ years of experience in the Information Technology field and will try to do my best to help you today. Please note Secure Remote Assistance and phone calls are auto-generated messages and communication through chat is fine with me. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble and I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly. May I know what troubleshooting have you done?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Bios update.
Clean windows update.
I found out I was using the wrong 8pin connector so I changed it to the correct one.
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

And ever since you change it still been an issue?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It was happening before and the same now
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

All games or just one specific game?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Well I can’t test any other games because I only have a 250gb ssd at the moment. Since total war is such a big game I want to fill the ssd with other games. I’m waiting for hhd drive that I’m going to install. But I think the issue would occur the same with other high end graphic intense games.
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

Whats your monitor model

Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

There is a slight chance it could be the game here and just a software bug.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
AOC 27G2U full hd 144Hz 4K. Oh really.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Why do you say that?
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

We can determine that if you play another game and if we see the same behavior. One thing comes to my mind is the 144HZ rate. Do you have a monitor with max output of 120 hz?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok I’m going to try playing other games. I do not have a 120hz monitor. What’s the problem with the 144hz. On the Nvidia control panel it maxes out at 120hz so I don’t think I get 144 FPS in game.
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

You dont but the monitor high fps could be the cause here. You can always try this monitor if it doesn't work just return it to Amazon: https://amzn.to/2GO1z33

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What’s the difference between the two? Why would one cause the crash but no the other one.
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

Hardware and the firmware are different for each model

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’m not sure I can return it since I threw the box away.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is there anything else we can test?
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

I can't think of another way here

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have a spare monitor. Maybe I should try that and see if the crashes continue. It’s just a regular monitor not 4K
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

Yeah that will work

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’m testing it now. How did you know it might me a monitor? What should I do in the future when I’m looking to buy a monitor. I’m playing on my regular monitor and no issues so far.
Expert:  Rafi replied 7 days ago.

Your Hz rate hence why I recommedn this one: https://amzn.to/2GO1z33