Karuna Sundeep
Karuna Sundeep,
Experience:  Freelancer at Freelance
104179447

We have BT broadband via a BT HUB in our building. We do not

We have BT broadband via a BT HUB in our building. We do not have a phone line as our only use is an internet connection. The Wi-fi signal from the hub does not give a strong enough signal at the extreme corners of the building so we have acquired a Broadband Extender Flex 500. We do not have a TV set-top box as we do not have a TV in the building. From the set up instructions I see that the second extender should be connected to the set-top with an ethernet cable. As we don't have a set-top box can we connect the second extender directly to a lap top to ensure a strong signal which does not drop out frequently.
JA: Who makes your router?
Customer: It is BT Home(?) Hub
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have set up the lap-top in the room as far from the hub as possible as this is where it will be positioned to use Zoom from. The lap-top (a brand new HP model) connects okay to the internet via Wi-fi but the connection to Zoom drops out regularly.
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, only whether the Extender will solve the problem.

Welcome to Just Answer.
I am Sundeep and I will try to do my best to help you today.
To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your internet. I know that can be frustrating.
Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.
Thanks for your question. To help me better assist you, please tell me

1. Have you successfully setup your Wifi extender ?
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
No! I want to know if, in the absence of a set-top box, the second extender can be connected directly to the lap-top via an internet cable. The instructions suggest that it has to be connected to a set-top box which we do not have.

Thank you for the information, I am checking on it, will be right back.

Connection help

• If you’ve got an extension lead plugged into a power socket that you want to use with your extender, see Using extension leads on the other side of this sheet to find out how to connect it properly.

• If you’re having problems synchronising your extenders, try resetting them to their default factory settings. See How to reset your extenders to the right.

• To check if your home’s electrical wiring is affecting your extenders, try connecting them in the same room. Some old wiring or fuse boxes might affect the connection between different areas of your home.

• Home appliances that use lots of power (like refrigerators, freezers, microwaves and air conditioning systems), might cause interference with your network, so try using a socket further away from these appliances.

• For the best network performance, use the same brand of extenders around your home.

• If there are no spare ports on your Hub, but one of the devices you’ve connected has wi-fi built in, disconnect its Ethernet cable and connect it using wi-fi instead. Or, if you need more wired connections, you can buy an Ethernet switch from bt.com/shop or most other electrical stores.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I'm sorry but this answer is of no use. All that you have said is in the instructions for the extenders. I have not tried to syncronise the extenders as the instructions say that the second extender should be connected to the set to box. We do not have a set top box as we do not have TV. I need to know whether the second extender can be connected to the lap top via an ethernet cable and whether this will ensure a strong signal from the Hub. Please answer the questions asked and don't give me a standard response.

You can share your connection with other devices around your home by adding more extenders to the ones you’re already using.

IMPORTANT: If these are your first extenders (and you’re not already using any others), follow the steps on the inside of this sheet to set them up, NOT the steps below.

Only follow the steps below if you’re adding more extenders to the ones your already using.

1 Plug the new extender into a power socket and switch it on.

2 Press the Link button on that extender for 5 to 8 seconds, until the Power light glows steady green.

3 Press the Link button again, this time for 1 second.

4 Within 2 minutes, press the Link button on one of the extenders already in your home for 1 second to complete the connection.

5 After a couple of minutes, the Power and Data lights on the new extender will glow, showing that it’s connected.

TIP: You might find it easier to plug your new extender into the same double power socket as one of your existing adapters while you set it up. You can then move it to another socket in your home without having to set it up again.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
This still does not answer my question which is quite straightforward - either yes or no. Please review my question and provide the answer to it.!

Yes.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.

You are welcome. Wish you all the best.