Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

FaceTime is not connecting. I have a ringing tone but nobody

Customer Question

FaceTime is not connecting. I have a ringing tone but nobody picks up the other end. This started 5 days ago and have tried about everything to solve the problem. Please, can you?
JA: Who makes your router?
Customer: If I understand you....British Telecom
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried trashing FaceTime (but it said it couldn't disconnect from SO X) I was then going to close down and start again.
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Possibly my Apple needs updating? But it won't let me into Update apps.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.
Can you please hold the power button on the device until you see a menu and choose power off.
Then power on the device and tell me how it still has the problem.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I turned off power and then on again earlier before I contacted you, but it doesn't solve the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

Please tell me what else you have tried

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My payment details are correct. Please connect to Secure Remote Assistant
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

Your payment failed sorry

Please tell me what else you have tried

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have put in my correct payment details several times. These are correct and I have no alternative.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

Your payment failed sorry

Please tell me what else you have tried

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The £5 I paid by debit card shows on my bank statement. I used the same debit card to pay for the switch to a Secure Remote Assistant. For some unknown reason this was rejected even after several tries. Can you advise me, even so, how I can get my FaceTime to work, please?
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

I keep asking you to Please tell me what else you have tried

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have tried to shut down my computer and reopen. Curiously, on Sunday, two days ago, I managed to make contact with one person in Canada and one person in London UK, but no more in spite of several tries.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

Which device are you using Facetime on

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Apple desk top. Updated to OS X El Capitan
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Apple Mac OS X El Capitan
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Then try to use Facetime please

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Dear Richard, I seem to have solved the problem by chance. A local friend happened to pop in and worked hard at my computer to get FaceTime to function. She knows a lot about Apple Macs but she couldn't solve the problem. HOWEVER, I telephoned a very good friend in Montreal and she said that she and I should try Facetiming computer to computer (not iPhone to Computer or iPhone to iPhone). It worked. But it does leave the unanswered question: why can'y iPhones make contact? Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 days ago.

Did you do the instructions I gave you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I tried but too complex and didn't work. But thank you anyway. FaceTime is working again because of advice from a friend. I thank you again. Goodbye.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

All the best