James K.
James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

I've just bought a new iPad which has 4G but only of course

HI Pearl
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I've just bought a new iPad which has 4G but only of course if I have a contract or Sim with EE. I have in the past used a paired DEVOLO dLAN 500 duo to connect between an upstairs computer and another downstairs, but don't need that any more. Can I now move the Devolo to another room where my signal is poor and be able to use my iPad there? I've plugged it in but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the signal - is that because it's not wireless, or not tuned in? Thanks for your help
JA: What computer or device are you having trouble syncing?
Customer: The computer is fine, it's the iPad Air that I can't get good reception on in my bedroom. It's fine in the rest of the house.
JA: How long have you had your iPad?
Customer: A week.
JA: What have you tried so far with your Apple product?
Customer: I'm not sure what you mean, Pearl.
JA: The Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all. Thanks.

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer, I am sorry you are having a techincal Issue

I know these can be Frustrating, I will be working with you to fix these issues to get you fixed up ASAP

Let me know when you are ready to continue

Cheers James

Which Ipad do you have ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it's an iPad Air 2020

The Ipad Air has WIFI

Turn it on as below

1. From your Home screen, go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
  2. Turn on Wi-Fi. Your device will automatically search for available Wi-Fi networks.
  3. Tap the name of the Wi-Fi network that you want to join.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No, that's all fine, I've done that. I can. get wifi connection in my house but not in the bedroom, so I can't suse the iPad there. My question is about the devolo extension I have.
It's a devolo 500 Mbps Duo. I used to use it upstairs as an extension to my other computer, but I don't need that anymore. I think the devolo extension I have has two sockets at the bottom, so maybe the other computer was plugged into them. Does that mean it's not wireless wifi?

The 2 sockets at the bottom are for ethernet Cables , if you use a Wired connection

they are not WIF enabled see below

https://www.devolo.co.uk/dlan-500-duo-powerline

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks. So I would have to buy a new set of devolo with a wireless connection, right? I can't see myself plugging the iPad into the wall all the time.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Or maybe another brand?

Yes if you look On amazon there are loads and fairly cheap also

WIFI Extender plugs

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does one of the plugs have to be plugged into my modem?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
or can you just freewheel with one one-off plug?

One plug with a Cable, at your router

The other anywhere you wish at all that is the repeater

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, thanks, ***** ***** you just confirm: I've paid £5 for this service, no further charges?

No further charges - cheers ***** ***** James

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Great, many thanks, Ruth