Mohammed Anas
Mohammed Anas, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
111356221

Trying to set up new iMac but spelt my email incorrectly and

Customer Question

trying to set up new iMac but spelt my email incorrectly and it did not recognise my apple password,. Can I rebook and start again
JA: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your Apple device?
Customer: I have no idea - I have never used an Mac before
JA: When did you last reboot?
Customer: I tried to rebook ten minutes ago - it thinks I am someone else
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: my email address is:***@******.***
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mohammed Anas replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer services. This is Anas and I will be assisting you with your issue today. I am sorry for the troubles you are facing.

I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly. As I understand you are facing an issue with your Mac.

You'll need to boot your Mac into Recovery Mode in order to access the password ***** tool.

Please turn off the Mac first. Then press and hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard, then press the power button. Hold in Command+R until you see a progress bar show up below the Apple logo.

With your Mac now in Recovery Mode(macOS Utilities screen), click on Utilities in the menu bar followed by Terminal. It is at the very top of the screen not on the list in the middle. A new window will show up, waiting for you to enter a command. Type resetpassword as one word and press Return.

You will then see the Reset Password ***** now. Follow the prompts selecting the user account you need to change the password ***** Or select your account and set password ***** Restart from Apple menu and see if you can login with the new password.

Please follow the link given below for detailed video instructions to unlock your Mac. Watch the video from 1:45 minutes onwards.

Please let me know if the issue is fixed, if not, we will find another way.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Keep safe always.

Sincerely,

Anas

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Please follow the instructions.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
okay

Have you received my instructions to reset the password?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No termnal page just page called disc utility

You need to open Utilities menu not disk utility. Close disk utility. You can find Utilities menu at the very top of the screen.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No it gave me a utilities page so i have off to stsrt again seems i am best starting from scstch with new apple as i spelt my email wrong and i want ro transfer all stuff from my old mcrosoft computer

You need to open Utilities menu, not disk utility. Don't click Disk utility. You can find Utilities menu at the very top of the screen in the menu bar. Click Utilities menu and you will find Terminal option there

If you are not able to reset the password ***** you can factory reset the Mac and set up it as brand new again.

Please turn off the Mac first. Then press and hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard, then press the power button. Hold in Command and R until you see a progress bar show up below the Apple logo.

Your mac will boot into recovery mode. If you see a password ***** screen, then click Recovery Assistant menu at the top left corner and click Erase mac. This will erase your mac and let you set up it as new.

If your mac booted into another screen with options like Restore from time machine, Reinstall, etc then click and open Disk Utility. In Disk utility select your storage disk, click Erase tab and erase it. Erase both Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD data disk.

Close disk utility and click Reinstall macOS to reinstall.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I need to start again from scrtch _can i do this by pressing reinstall mac
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What is mac os catalina?

Yes, but you need to erase Macintosh HD first using disk utility

Click and open Disk Utility. In Disk utility select your storage disk on the list, click Erase tab and erase it. Erase both storage discs i.e Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD data disk.

Catalina is the version of macOS you are using on it

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
There seems no bsck button or back facility on the mac _ i am on page to set up installation so need to back /

Then close Disk Utility by clicking the small red button at the top left corner of that window. Close disk utility and click Reinstall macOS to reinstall.

Please click the link below for detailed video instructions

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How can i transfer my google emails and bookmarks onto my new imac safely

Please do the steps in the link below to transfer your files using migration assistant from old Mac to the new Mac.

Link - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had a mac before and beginning to regret i ever bought it - i want my pc emails bookmarks passwords etc tranferred safely
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I should have i have never hsd a mac before and i find it difficult to use _ i need to transfer google emails passwords bookmarks rtc

Please do the steps in the link below to transfer your files using migration assistant from PC to the new Mac.

Link - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

or

You can download Google Chrome and sign in with your Google account to retrieve your bookmarks.

Link to download Chrome - https://www.google.com/chrome/

Please follow the steps in the link below to add your mail account to your Mac

Link- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204093

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am talking to you on my mobile phone as my old pc is disconnected and all i hsve is my new mac _ not clear how i can get these websites on my new msc there seems to be no google seach engine

You can open these links in your Safari browser. Open safari and open these websites.