Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

The chromebook was on charge when burning smell followed by

Customer Question

The chromebook was on charge when burning smell followed by sparks came from the bit where it plugs in. The end tip of the charger looks burnt. Is this likely to have damaged the inside of the computer? It is working fine on stored battery, but not sure if a new power cable would work. Ant way of telling if the whole thing is broken, before I pay for a new charger?
JA: What device or product does this involve?
Customer: Acer chromebook R11
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Chromebook?
Customer: Don't know, just getting into it to try and find out.
JA: What have you tried so far with your Chromebook? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No updates, far as I know, its Chrome OS
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 19 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

No usually not as the cord has a convertor on it and that will get damaged first.

It would be unlikely the computer is damaged though I advise you to replace the charger and not use it