SaloniM
SaloniM, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Applications
110384226

When my Freesat box is in use, other items eg phones, laptop

Customer Question

When my Freesat box is in use, other items eg phones, laptop etc lose internet. The items show that the signal is okay but cannot connect to internet
JA: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your laptop?
Customer: yes
JA: Which lights are solid and which are blinking on your router?
Customer: All lights are green
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  SaloniM replied 11 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer tech support, I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I look forward to helping you. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please follow the below steps to resolve the issue:

1. Refer to your router and remove the power adapter for approximately 60 seconds, once 60 seconds have passed re-insert the power adapter and allow some additional time for the router to establish a network connection.

2. Once the router is connected. refer to your device you are trying to connect to WiFi and locate the Network/WiFi Settings.

3. Providing the WiFi Settings are enabled, your device should discover the nearby networks.

4. Select your WiFi network from the list, if you are unsure of the details, refer to the back of the router where the details will be detailed.

5. Once you have selected the Wireless Network you wish to connect to, you should be prompted to enter the Network Password, If you are unsure of the password, refer to the back of the router where the information will be listed.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,

Saloni

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The problem that needs solving is to why the wifi goes down when the freesat box is in use. Is it possible that the fault is with the freesat box as it is over 10 years old and makes the wifi go down. Also, we have had the router only a few months so could it be faulty
Expert:  SaloniM replied 11 days ago.

Can you please test the Wi-Fi on different devices to confirm the same?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Wi-Fi on all devices is fine. When Freesat Box is switched on or in use, Wi-Fi goes down
Expert:  SaloniM replied 11 days ago.

Please try to restart both the devices once and start after 5 minutes, in the issue still persists then there might be the possibility the freesat box is causing the issue.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,

Saloni

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We have tried all the usual ways and we always get the internet back. It is only when the Freesat is on that we have the problem. Have you not had this problem before
Expert:  SaloniM replied 11 days ago.

Please disconnect and remove the wifi once and try setting up again using the below steps:

Go to Settings Menu. On that menu, you will see Internet Connection where you will see an option to set up a Wireless Connection. Press that and your wireless network should appear. If it doesn't then try rescanning. Once it has found your network, you will need to enter your password ***** it should connect within a few moments.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,

Saloni

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
When the Freesat is off, I have no problem re-connecting. Is it, therefore, your opinion that the Freesat box is faulty
Expert:  SaloniM replied 11 days ago.

May I know have you followed the above steps.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have followed all the above steps at one time or another over the past few weeks when the problem has occurred
Expert:  SaloniM replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for the information but in order to proceed further, I would like you to perform all the troubleshooting steps now and share the output that will help us in understanding the exact cause of the issue. Hope you understand.

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to help you. I really appreciate your patience through this process. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please feel free to reply with any questions.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The situation has arisen almost daily over the past few weeks and I have performed all the steps described in order to get the wi-fi and internet back. I think it must be assumed that the Freesat Box is causing the problem. Thanks for your help
Expert:  SaloniM replied 11 days ago.

You're most welcome. Have a nice day!