ABDULRAMEESH PUTHANP
ABDULRAMEESH PUTHANP, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  IT Manager at Silvermount International School Kerala, India
104952468

I have two computers which I want to link together with a

I have two computers which I want to link together with a LAN. If I insert a router between the modem and the computer currently linked to the internet, will everything carry on as normal or will some reconfiguring be necessary?
JA: Who makes your router?
Customer: Mikrotik heX S
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing as I depend completely on the Internet and I am afraid of losing the connection/
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I haven't bought he router yet.

Hello. My name is Ramees.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com. I look forward to assisting you.

I know it can be confusing when it comes to networking. But don't worry, I'll try my level best to help you.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

No. You can connect a router in between your modem and the two computers.

And they will get internet without any problem. And since the two computers are connected to the same router, you will be able to network them without any issues.

All you have to do is to connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of your router.

And the router will broadcast internet. And any devices connected to the router will get the internet.

Please feel free to ask if you have any doubts.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have read a lot of confusing stuff about adresses. Are these assigned automatically?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
As I said previously I haven't bought the router yet.

Yes. You can also assign them manually, but by default they will be assigned automatically.

But don't worry, any devices connected to the same router or model will have the same network IP address. You will have no problem connecting them.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help.

You are most welcome!
If you are satisfied with my service,
I'd kindly request you to rate me as an Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
And thank you for using Justanswer.com.
Best Regards,
Ramees PP