Mohammed Anas
Mohammed Anas, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
111356221

My desktop PB keeps dropping its interner connection. I fix

My desktop PB keeps dropping its interner connection. I fix it using the troubleshooter but it drops again within minutes, sometimes within seconds. Very frustrating!

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer services. This is Anas and I will be assisting you with your issue today. I am sorry for the trouble you are facing. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly. As I understand you are facing an issue with your Computer.

May I know how is your computer connected to the router? via WiFi or Ethernet cable?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Anas, it is via WiFi. I have taken photos of some the screen messages is that will help
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am happy for you to connect if that is easier

Please let me get you informed that the remote assistance will not work in this case, because it includes many troubleshooting steps which will disconnect the remote session. We can continue to chat until we solve the issue.

May I know when did this issue start?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
About a week ago, but it has got worse the last day or so

It could be an issue with the Wifi adapter. Is it possible for you to connect your computer to the router via an ethernet cable to test it?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The router is too far away. Right now I'm connected via my mobile phone's hotspot

Are you facing the same issue when you connect your computer to the mobile hotspot WiFi?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No. All my other devices that are connected to the internet via WiFi work fine.

May I know does the Wifi router too far away from your desktop computer?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The router is downstairs and the PC is upstairs. I would need a very very long ethernoet cable to connect them

May I know how many curved lines(range) showing on the Wifi icon on your taskbar when you connect to the WiFi(the Wifi network that keeps dropping)?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It start with a full set of lines but it turns into a globe symbol when it drops. For the short time it is connected the speed is fine.

Please allow me a moment to write the instructions for you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK, and thanks for your help

Please follow the steps below to find the network band(2.4 GHz or 5GHz) of the WiFi network that keeps dropping.

1. Connect to the Wifi network that keeps dropping.
  2. Open your networks panel from your taskbar by clicking the WiFi icon in the bottom right. Click on “Properties” of your WiFi network. In the new window that opens, scroll all the way down to “Properties”. “Network Band” will either say 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

Please let me know the network band of your router.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
5GHz

5GHz has only a limited range, please connect your computer to the 2.4 GHz wifi network. Please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How do I do that?

I will help you with that. Many Wi-Fi routers broadcast at two different network frequency bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. These will appear as separate networks in the list of available Wi-Fi networks. Do you see any other WiFi network similar to the 5GHz WiFi name?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have a BTHub and there is another BTHub with a different name I can see but I am pretty sure that is a neighbour's

Could you try to log in to that WiFi network with your same wifi password?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That doesn't work, but I've found instructions to change the BTHub from 5GHz to 2.4GHz. I'll try that

Please try it and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm not sure I understand what to do. Can I share my screen with you?

The remote assistance will not work in this case, because it includes many steps which will disconnect the session. Were you able to change to the 2.4 GHz network?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not yet as the instructions are confusing

Could you tell me the make and model of your router, so I can send you the instructions to change the network band on your router?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I think I am also there....bear with me

Sure! please take your time.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK, I think I done it. There are now two networks with almost the same ame but one is 5GHz and the other is 2.4 GHz. I have now connected the PC to the 2.4 one.

Please check if the issue still exists on the 2.4 GHz network ( make sure you are connected to the 2.4 GHz network). Then, please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ironically, for the past 20 minutes or so I was on the 5GHz network and it didn't go down. The 2.4 network seems to be working OK and hopefully it will stay that way. If it goes wrong again, should I quote some sort of reference when I contact JustAnswer?

You can get back to me by replying here on this page. Also, please follow the steps below to change the Network profile of 2.4 GHz to Private to prevent it from automatically disconnecting.

1. Connect to the Wifi network.
  2. Open your networks panel from your taskbar by clicking the WiFi icon in the bottom right. Click on “Properties” of your WiFi network. In the new window that opens, select the Network Profile to Private

If you face any difficulty, please get back to me and I will help you further. Thank you.
Keep safe always.
Sincerely,
Anas

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That's great. Thnak you for your help and patience.

You are most welcome! Have a nice day!