Mohammed Anas
Mohammed Anas, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
111356221

Had a problem last Monday - pop up apparently from Windows

Had a problem last Monday - pop up apparently from Windows indicated I had a Trojan problem. Rang phone number on Pop Up and put through to technician who said that I needed to have AweSun program uploaded to my laptop plus Network Security - have I been scammed?
JA: What's the brand/model and version of Windows of your laptop?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: What have you tried so far with your laptop? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Automated updates from Windows 10 and of course the above programs
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Did link into Just Answer earlier in week (Pete) who said it did look as though my computer had been compromised. Also, did run a full virus scan (with BT Virus Protect) who said three viruses detected and cleared up last Monday and that my laptop otherwise ok

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer services. This is Anas and I will be assisting you with your issue today. I am sorry for the trouble you are facing. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Yes, you have been scammed. The “Windows Defender – Security Warning or Trojan virus warning” page is a browser-based scam that displays fake error messages to trick you into calling a Tech Support Scam phone number. You should close the page and do not call the listed phone number if it happens again. That message is a scam that pretends to be from Microsoft to trick you into thinking that your computer has crashed or that a virus has been detected. It does this to try and scare you into calling one of the listed numbers in order to receive support. If you call these phone numbers, scammers will ask you to install a program that gives them remote access to your computer. Using remote access(in this case, the scammer used AweSun remote software), these experienced scammers rely on confidence tricks typically involving utilities built into Windows in order to gain your trust and trick you into paying for “support” services or even steal credit card account information. To prevent your computer from hacking, virus, malware, etc, you should install an Anti-Virus or any Anti-Malware application. You can help protect your computer against viruses by using antivirus software and updating it regularly. Make sure your computer operating system has the latest updates.

A rating is only needed when we are finished. I make every effort to provide you with exceptional support. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thank you.
Keep safe always.
Sincerely,
Anas

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Anas, thanks -- I have the BT Virus Protect (McAfee) system installed which is constantly updated and this apparently noted three issues on Monday (day of scam) and has rechecked subsequently (full scan - over 400,000 files) which are clean. What should I do about the AweSun and Network Security plus Subscription Details files installed on my laptop
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How long does it take to uninstall files

Just to confirm did you subscribe to AweSun? or the scammer makes you to subscribe the Awsun remote software?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It's installed but I have not made any payments - no credit card details passed to them
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
None of my financial details stored on my laptop

Check for suspicious apps and uninstall them from your computer. Please follow the steps below to uninstall a software from your computer.

1. Open the Start Menu.
  2. Search for “add or remove programs“.
  3. Click on the search result titled Add or remove programs. Select the app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall.

OR

1. Open the Start Menu.
  2. Look through the list of programs installed on your computer and locate and right-click on the program you want to uninstall.
  3. Click on Uninstall in the resulting context menu.

Please click the link below for detailed instructions

If you face any difficulty please get back to me and I will help you further. Thank you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Anas, once deleted from Settings page - does that uninstall it everywhere on system
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
or I should say from Control Panel - AweSun no longer shown on start page

Both are the same, you can uninstall the software by following any of the above instructions. Once you select and uninstall, it will delete the software from your computer. Please check the links given below for detailed instructions to secure your computer(please check both links).

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
lean up looks ok, if any other issues I will recontact Just Answer

Keep safe always.
Sincerely,
Anas

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, not sure what is happening - been trying to confirm if I should delete Network Security Program from my laptop as I did for AweSun, but keep being put into new question/request

May I know what is the name of the Network Security Program?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No name attached!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
added by people who put AweSun program on my laptop

If the network security program is installed by the spammer remotely, then please uninstall it for your safety(Uninstall all suspicious applications from your computer). Please follow the steps below to uninstall the software from your computer.

1. Open the Start Menu.
  2. Search for “add or remove programs“.
  3. Click on the search result titled Add or remove programs. Select the Network security program, and then select Uninstall.

OR

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel and select it from the results.

2. Select Programs > Programs and Features.

3. Right-click on the program you want to remove and select Uninstall. Then follow the directions on the screen.

Please check for the suspicious application names and uninstall them.

Open the Settings app from the Start menu. Select apps. Manually review applications installed to find any suspicious applications. Once identified, open the app information and uninstall it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Problem is that Network Security doesn't show in Start Menu or Apps & Programs

If you don't see any suspicious applications under Apps, then that application will not be on your computer. You can also download and use the Malware bytes application to scan your computer to make sure it is free from malware.

Please click the link below to download

You can download and install the free version to scan your computer.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks - looks as though BT Virus Protect has worked well and is keeping systems save. Guess moral of last week - don't respond to any pop ups supposedly from Microsoft. Many thanks - rating 5 Stars

You are most welcome! Please be aware of them. They use fraudulent attempts to get personal information from you. Scammers use any means they can – spoof emails and texts, misleading pop-up ads, fake downloads, calendar spam, even scam phone calls – to trick you into sharing information, such as your Account ID password ***** credit card numbers. Please check the link below for more details.

Thank you for using JustAnswer services. Have a nice day!
Keep safe always.
Sincerely,
Anas