Aaron B
Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Thirteen years of experience providing computer support for fortune 500 companies and government.
22099314

My microphone is making a loud cracking/screeching noise

Customer Question

my microphone is making a loud cracking/screeching noise whenever I speak.
JA: What computer or device has sound issues?
Customer: The issue is on my pc
JA: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: Should I send the specs?
JA: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: a few days, I have tried updating sound drivers, cleaning and junk on my pc, trying a different microphone, i tried lots of tutorials but i still have the issue
JA: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: What have you tried so far with your computer?
Customer: I have tried updating sound drivers, cleaning and junk on my pc, trying a different microphone, i tried lots of tutorials but i still have the issue
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: if im in a call with people they can here it and also a buzzing sound sometimes
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
File attached (5727ST1)
Expert:  Aaron B replied 21 days ago.

My name is Aaron.

If both microphones are making loud cracking and screeching noises, then the problem is your computer. You can go into your sound settings in Microsoft Windows 10. Go into the mixer.

Try muting any devices you do not need. Unmute those devices one at a time until you begin hearing those screeching noises. Also, you could try using a different microphone jack on your computer.

If it is a desktop computer it may have two microphone jacks. One on the back of that computer.. A second one on the front of that computer.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i have a pc so is there another port at the back that i can try?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
sound mixer options?
Expert:  Aaron B replied 21 days ago.

Also, you could try using a different microphone jack on your computer.

Expert:  Aaron B replied 21 days ago.

Right click speaker icon in lower right task bar. Then choose "Volume Mixer". You might be able to adjust the volume and gain for the microphone.

That might be causing the screeching noise. If the volume is set too high.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-new-windows-7-volume-mixer-control