Abhishek Gupta 2
Abhishek Gupta 2 ,
Experience:  Maintenance Executive at Devyani Food Industries Limited
112970849

I have installed Avast Free on a Windows XP PC. Also removed

I have installed Avast Free on a Windows XP PC. Also removed AVG Free as it had expired. Now Bootup doesn't complete. I see all desktop icons ok, but bottom RHS icons are missing; only date shows. On the footer line, pointer is hour glass, not pointer. Any ideas?
JA: Which Avast product do you have?
Customer: AVAST Free for XP
JA: What have you tried so far with your Avast software?
Customer: I tried CTRL.Alt.Delete and chose Shut Down, then Restart. I have separately tried Shut Down, then Turn Off. Later restarted from 'off' but got the same result.
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing really.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.com, an independent paid Question and Answer support site.

I am Abhi with over 5 years of experience and will try to do my best to help you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly. Please allow me a few minutes to review your question to ensure that I don't miss anything.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Nil further to add at this point

Run the Avast installer

1. Run the Avast installer. Click the downloaded file at the bottom left corner of your screen.
  2. Confirm the installation. Click "Yes" on the system dialog window to approve the start of your Avast installation.
  3. Follow setup instructions. Click the button in the installer window to begin the installation.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I cannot click anything on the bot***** *****ne because pointer shows hourglass not pointer

Did you follow the above steps?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
See my previous remark - I cannot click anything on bot***** *****ne. I have tried click on Avast Free antiV icon and this has resulted in hourglass wherever pointer is moved to.

Please click on the belwo link to resolve your issue.

Link:- https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/Troubleshoot-Embarrassing-UI-Failed-load/

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
When I tried CTRL.ALT.DEl earlier , I saw AvastSVCS.exe, but nowhere did I find AvastGUI ?

Please follow the instructions by clicking.

Link:- https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Check-Antivirus-status/

Is your problem is resolved?

I hope I provided you with useful information.

Your feedback is also more important to me.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

And thank you for using Justanswer.com.

Best Regards,

Abhishek

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Follow-up. I think that the problem was & is a mis-configured Windows XP

yes