John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

I’ve received an email with an order from my work email

Customer Question

Hello I’ve received an email with an order from my work email account I don’t recognise it
JA: How's your Internet connection? Are you checking your email from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?
Customer: The order number is204_2980174-0017534 no it’s a government email address
JA: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?
Customer: There usually is I don’t know how some one has ordered this on my government email address
JA: Is there anything else the Email Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes the delivery date is 20 to 22 nov for £349.99
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome, to JustAnswer, which is a paid and independent Q&A and Tech support site. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble.

Do you mean someone ordered something from a website using your government issues email address?

Expert:  John replied 20 days ago.

Please answer my above question, so that I can help you better. Use the reply box just below, type your reply in it and click on send.

Expert:  John replied 20 days ago.

Since I didn't hear from you, please accept this general answer.

First, double-check that you didn't make that purchase order.

If you didn't make that order, then it is possible that it is a fake purchase order to make you call or sign in to their site. Which then can be used to steal your information. Do not open any links or install anything from that email. In this case, report that email as spam.

The next possible reason is that your email account got hacked. The chances for this a very slim, but if that is the case, then I suggest you contact the IT admin and report it. In this way, the admin can check it and secure it.

I hope the above information helps you. If you have any questions, let me know.