ExpLari
ExpLari,
Experience:  Expert
117177496

I am looking to develop a desktop and mobile app for

I am looking to develop a desktop and mobile app for construction companies. It will basically be a database that allows them to effectively manage each project they are currently working on. They will be able to monitor expenditure and manage labour, materials and equipment currently allocated to the job. My goal is to sell this to construction companies in the UK, charging an upfront fee for the software, and then a monthly fee per user. What language would be best to write this in?
JA: Which software or app can I help with?
Customer: I am looking to develop a desktop and mobile app for construction companies. It will basically be a database that allows them to effectively manage each project they are currently working on. They will be able to monitor expenditure and manage labour, materials and equipment currently allocated to the job. My goal is to sell this to construction companies in the UK, charging an upfront fee for the software, and then a monthly fee per user. What language would be best to write this in?
JA: The Software Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your software?
Customer: Up to now we have a prototype of the app on Microsoft Access. It works and looks like the app we wish to produce, however we want to write it as an actual piece of software that can be sold/licensed to other companies.
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would ideally like to make the app myself. I have a very limited knowledge of Python as I did some work on it in High School, however I am a beginner and would need to look at taking courses on whichever language we use to write the program.

Hello, I am Larimar Caldera. Your computer expert, it is a pleasure for me to answer your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have enough information to answer my question?

Yes, allow me a moment and I will give you a slightly broader answer.

Understanding your project and need, I could suggest you to develop it with languages such as java, C# ***** C++ or some other language under . net environment, I also understand that there is an app on Microsoft Access, you could keep it if you like and feed it with information from the main system through webservice API-REST and this would allow you a development flexibility that in the future if you want to make a mobile app of your system it could communicate with the main system through these webservice that you develop, for security you could use OTP codes or tokens, most of these languages that I mentioned will allow you to hold licenses where the source code can not be altered without legal risks since they are not open source.

Dear user, if you require more information or have any doubt, please ask me any question and I will answer it as best as I can, I remain attentive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is a way I can use the prototype we already have on Microsoft Access and turn that into a fully functioning desk top application that can be licensed?

I'm not so sure about that, that's why I mentioned that if you want to keep that prototype you could feed it from a main system developed from scratch with languages like C#, C++ or .net and feed it with webservice. You would still need to develop the main system

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep I thought so. I have basically no experience with programming other than learning a bit of Python in High School, So I will basically be learning a language from scratch to make this app, which language would you recommend?

Dear user, in order to answer this question you would first need to know if you want your system to be open source or proprietary, if it will be a pure desktop application or if you would prefer it to be a WEB system.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think a web system. The idea would be for each employee of a company to be able to log in and entr their companies portal.

For a web system I recommend python, php, java, I personally prefer php 8.1 with the use of the laravel framework with jetstream and bootstrap.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
with any of those languages I will be able to create a desktop app and a mobile app which allows the user to log in and access their companies portal?

With java you can create both, with python too although android is not compatible with this language it has libraries that transform the packages, with php you can only create the website and use another language such as ionic or anyother for mobile app development that is compatible with both android and iOS.

As I said, you can feed the mobile application with webservice so you do not necessarily need that both systems, web and mobile are the same language.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think having a desktop app and an ios app will be sufficient. In this case would you recommend Python? From what I have read online it is one of the easiest languages to learn as a beginner.

If it is precisely as you say, there are many tools and libraries that make programming on Python much easier.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it will be a desktop application that allows the user to log into their companies portal on their computers, and ideally on their ios device. There will be an upfront cost for the software and a monthly fee per user. Would you still recommend Python?

Dear user if it is a desktop or web application you can use python, if you want to use python to develop mobile application I only recommend it if it will be for android, if it is an application for iOS (Apple) then I recommend you to use an iOS language to develop such mobile application.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could I use Python for the desktop app and an ios language for the ios app and have the two be compatible with eachother?

As long as the iOS language you use is compatible to send and receive information via API-REST webservice, everything will be fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back. The experts at just answer will always be there to help you. For future enquiries you can contact me directly using @ExpLari Kind regards, Larimar

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Larimar, I have been exploring using a no-code solution to build this software. Do you think this would be possible? If so are there any no-code software builders that you can recommend?

hello dear user, using or not "no-code" builders for system development are largely tied to the requirements of the system, ie clearly know what functionality and purpose will have such a system, for example if this is a simple inventory system or a virtual store could use a CMD as wordpress which is based on php and with the use of plugins, themes and templates you can create many things without having to place a single line of code because plugins do practically everything, all these systems that are "no-code" are limiting and I do not recommend them for the development of highly customized programs or uncommon in functions and / or activities.