Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 11 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I've asked for help a moment ago as my laptop is blocked

Customer Question

I've asked for help a moment ago as my laptop is blocked saying someone is trying to get into my computer details. I'm not computer literate, but your company has asked for me to pay $1 for a weeks help or something. I was in the process of doing that with my credit card, although heaven knows how much $1 is, I'm calling from the UK Anyway they wanted to confirm that it's actually me and asked me something about opening my app?? I'm willing to confirm it's me but I just don't understand what the blazes I'm supposed to do and what to press, I really don't understand all of this! I'm calling from my mobile as my laptop screen is blocked, it just has in red the words " DECEPTIVE SITE AHEAD, attackers on gvcxd4r5u.azurewebsites.net may truck you into doing something dangerous, like installing software or revealing your personal information etc" Lord knows what I've got to do as I do not understand computer jargon.
JA: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?
Customer: I've got an HP Platinum. It's only about 3 years old.
JA: What have you tried so far with your HP? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Nothing as I'm petrified of being scammed! That's why on my mobile I've looked up a contact number fir Microtest to help me.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not aware that there's anything else, but not being computer literate I really don't understand what your meaning.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 20 days ago.

I'm sorry about your computer issue. I'm glad to assist you today. To confirm the issue, your computer is frozen. That is a fake popup message; it is a scam, so please do not follow any instruction in it. Can you please press and hold the Power on / off button on your computer for about ten seconds, and then turn it back on, and check?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hi I've done what you requested, just waiting fir it to come on again, I've now got the main screen with all the icons on it. Does that mean it's OK to use now do you think?

Great. Yes, it is okay to use your computer now.  The fake popup message occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or advertisement. Shutting down / restarting the computer would resolve the issue. If you need anything else, please let me know. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I did not click on the charge of £22 fee as I have already paid the £1, I do hope that I will not be seeing the £22 charge put onto my credit card. As stated I did not agree to further investigations, should I be charged this extra fee I shall instruct my bank to cancel payment and to reimburse me.

You're welcome. Got it. I'm the tech, so our customer service will take care of the billing issue for you. If you have any other computer question / issue, please let me know anytime. Thank you for your patience.