JamesI
JamesI, Engineer
Experience:  Regardless if you need advise on purchasing or fixing an issue with electronics, I can help you.
75967336

Our Kenwood Chef was new in 1968. It is very noisy++ does it

Our Kenwood Chef was new in 1968. It is very noisy++ does it need a replacement or top up of oil?

Hi Jim, is the noise a high or low pitched noise?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The noise is low pitched, a "mechanical" type noise

This suggests the bearings have most likely started to fail, due to the age of the appliance the parts are no longer available. The only option would be to strip it down and give it a clean and service in hope that would extend its life a little longer, however based on the nature of the issue and it being very loud, its likely a significant failure is imminent and the best course of action is replacement rather than repair.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Very many thanks for your help. You have confirmed my initial fear!!! We need to look to get another. Should ours go to a Museum??
Kind regards,
Jim
Like most appliances in the 60s there were built to last and you paid the price for it now, items are designed for a few years use and are half the price, so don’t expect to have the replacement for more than 10 years if you are a frequent baker.