Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Technical expert, from computers to custom home theaters
59725966

I have a Panasonic Vieira TX-L37E3B that won't turn on. When

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Panasonic Vieira TX-L37E3B that won't turn on. When it's plugged in and the power button is pressed the remote receiver LED flashes green 20 times and nothing happens.
Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It's a Panasonic Vieira TX-L37E3B and it's never happened before
Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It's only happened yesterday. I have left it unplugged during the night and tried pressing the power button for 10 secs.
Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan