Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Hitachi 43HK6T74U TV, purchased 26-Dec-2017, is switching

My Hitachi 43HK6T74U TV, purchased 26-Dec-2017, is switching itself off and on again frequently (every minute or two). I have tried connecting it to a different power socket and I have tried replacing the batteries in the remote control but the problem persists (even if I take the remote batteries out completely).
JA: What is the model of your TV?
Customer: As stated above, 43HK6T74U
JA: What menu options can you access, if any?
Customer: I can get the Menu on screen but it is now re-booting more frequently so I don't have the time to see which options work!
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so... "connect", what does that mean? (aren't we already connected by this chat?).

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Sorry you're having problems. Offhand these symptoms are caused by a premature fault of a specific board within the TV- and generally requires replacement of this board to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Are you at the TV and able to try those steps?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As far as I know, and I have referred to the instruction manual, there is no "power button" on the TV itself. The only way to do it is to switch off at the power socket (or pull the plug out).

Please standby as I believe there is a button located on one of the lower rear corners.

On the lower left hand side of the TV's bezel, is there a half-wheel button (not visible from the front)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is something like that at the back - I'll give it a try.

Okay good, yes push it directly in to enact the power button and let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have followed your instructions, twice, but the TV is still re-booting itself very frequently.

Thank you and I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately the TV cycling on and off like this is an internal failure. The Mainboard in the TV is faulty (this board provides the turn on/off command and is the only part that can cause this) and the Mainboard needs to be replaced. If you're a DIY type then the board can typically be located as used/pulled TV parts suppliers for around $125 and is a plug and play part (meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Alternatively at a shop this is generally in the $250 range parts and labor to replace the Mainboard. What I would try as a last ditch effort is to leave the TV unplugged for an hour or more (overnight is best) in the hopes the processor reboots- but beyond this, the TV does need the Mainboard replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's not good news and not something I would expect from a device which I have had for little more than one year!

I understand and this is beyond anything I can control. We see this issue rampantly from many manufacturers these days and these TV's are built more cheaply than ever. JVC, Hitachi, Sharp, etc. are all designed to fit a price point and not for longterm reliability I'm afraid. We see this issue much less with reputable brands such as LG and Samsung.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The answer you gave yesterday differs from that which I have received from Argos (from whom I purchased the TV). I wonder which is correct because they are VERY different!? ...
You asked
My 43HK6T74U TV, purchased 26/12/2017, has started to turn itself off and on again frequently (after just a minute or two). I have tried replacing the batteries in the remote control and I have tried plugging into a different power socket but the problem is still present.Our answer is
Thank you for your question and sorry you’re having this issue. There is currently a temporary issue with the provision of the Freeview Play service platform which may cause your TV to turn off unexpectedly. Please be aware that this is NOT an issue with the Television and is simply a short-term issue with the provision of the Freeview Play Service. Rest assured our dedicated technical teams are working around the clock to resolve this issue in the shortest time possible.Unplug the aerial
Switch the TV on
Press Menu or the Home icon button
Scroll to Installation
Press OK
Scroll to First Time Installation
Press OK
The TV screen will go blank and the TV will restart going through a first time set up process
Decline Internet Setup
Decline Terms and Conditions of FVP
Reconnect your aerial
During the first time set up there will be a terms and agreement option, Press OK on Decline or NoThis will mean that all Freeview play applications will not function and will allow the TV to stay on and to be used for Freeview channels only. After 24 hours I would advise carrying out the above again but accept the Internet and also the Terms and Agreements. If this does not resolve the issue please do not hesitate to come through and we can see if there is any further update.Thank you for using Argos Q & A.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, an independent paid-support site. My name is ***** ***** I'll be taking over this question. Do you have the TV connected to the internet when you use Freeview?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The TV is always connected to the router with a cable (so I guess that means it is connected to the internet?).

Okay, I have been seeing a lot of questions about this over the past 24 hours so there is definitely something up. Disconnecting the TV from the router seems to be correcting the problem for people. Why don't you give that a try and let me know if it stops the TV from turning on and off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For the last hour or so it has been alright anyway so maybe the issue has been resolved?

It's possible. I think I can say with confidence that this is not a problem with the TV. It is, or was, an issue with Freeview because I have been seeing questions about TVs from different manufacturers exhibiting the same behavior.

Does the information I've provided above, provide an answer your question? If so, we have an unusual situation here, so if you would like the "credit" to go to me rather than the first expert, you will need to say so explicitly in chat. Or you'll need to re-rate the question if you are able to. Or contact***@******.*** and let them know you would like me to get the credit for helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a good job that I didn't follow the advice given yesterday - I would have called in an engineer and it would have cost me money unnecessarily. I will try to re-rate the original question.

I understand, it's a puzzling problem for sure.