Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  7+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am unable to register a new credit card to purchase books

Customer Question

I am unable to register a new credit card to purchase books on my kindle
JA: How long has this been going on with your Kindle? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Several weeks. I can buy thinks on amazon prime with no difficulty since registering the new cred card, but unable to download any books
JA: Anything else you want the E-Reader Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 16 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your Amazon payment and/or downloads question.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks very much. I've re-register my new credit card but still kindle won't accept it.

If you can buy things on your Kindle, then you have a payment method registered and all is well as far as payment is concerned.

But being unable to download might be other matters. You might perhaps have a 'sick' Kindle, in need of either a minor reset or a major (factory) reset that would wipe it back to factory-issue status.

It depends upon what error message, error condition, or other symptom, shows up when you try to download an e-book that you have bought. Do you go into your Library (or 'My Library'), select the book, then choose the Download option?

If it refuses with an odd error message that suggests nothing to you, please check as to whether you can Open the book in question. If it then opens and you may read its first page or pages fine, then your download is being 'refused' owing to the download already having been done and having completed.

Let me know what you think, and I will continue to help you with this issue, to a good result. Thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The error message is that there is a payment error. But purchases can be made on my Amazon prime account

OK. Then you may have two different accounts - one is your Amazon Prime account, the other is your Kindle's registered account.

Would you like to try to get your credit card updated on your Kindle's account (assuming it not to be the Amazon Prime account)? if so, here are instructions:

The change of credit card information is actually done in your online Amazon.com account (which your Kindle uses, of course... but the c.c. info is not stored on your Kindle, so it is a matter of your internet account, really.

To change your credit card info in Amazon:

1. go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/homepage.html

2. and select Your Account if needed, and login if needed.

3. Then, in Your Account (or 'My Account' it might read, sometimes) select Payment Options.

4. Then select the old card that you want to change, and instead of deleting it, just choose EDIT.

5. Then enter the new card information there, carefully, and save the changes (by clicking CONFIRM, usually, or perhaps SAVE) after entering all the new data for the new card.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK, I've done all that, can I try buying another book immediately or should I wait for my details to be updated

The details, once they are saved to your account, might take a bit of time to be 'verified' by the system, or might take place at once. To err on the side of caution, it would be best to wait 1/2 hour, I think, before trying.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thanks I'll try again later

Good. And if it doesn't work properly, please let me know, then! Thank you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Fine but I still unable to download books onto my kindle
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am happy to have an online conversation
Expert:  Russell H. replied 15 days ago.

Have you tried a reset of the Kindle, to factory release conditions? I think that might possibly help. (It will erase all that is on the Kindle, but you will not lose your e-books, which are also stored in your online Amazon account and may be downloaded from that account again, without extra charge, once you are registered to your Amazon account again on the Kindle.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How do I reset the kindle to factory release conditions?

You may reset it by holding down the Power button or sliding switch, for over 20+ seconds. It will restart, and then take a few minutes to start up after wiping everything off the Kindle.

Then you may proceed, on that Kindle, to first

A: connect to WiFi and internet, then

B: Register (in Settings) to the same Amazon account that you already had before!

And then you may download your already-bought books from that same account - hopefully, now, without problems! (- Provided, of course, that you are careful not to register to a 'New' account, which would not have any books in it, you see! So, please Register to the old Amazon account and its password, and all shoudl be fine, I hope!)