Steve G.
Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

Just bought Denon 300F and plugged into my new Sonos 5 using

Hi Just bought Denon 300F and plugged into my new Sonos 5 using RCA to phono. I have just turned up sonos app fully but still very quiet in playback. Any ideas what i can do to boost sound output?
JA: What is your Denon connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?
Customer: Denon direct to Sonos 5. Cables fully connected. Getting sound and when turned everything on sonos app up can hear music but not what you would say was loud maybe 40% of normal output from speaker?
JA: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?
Customer: Why?
JA: Anything else you want the Audio/Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Steve and I am one of the Vintage HiFi experts here. I am in Maryland and have been helping customers like you on this site since 2005.

I'm sorry to hear about your issue - here's what is going on.

The turntable has a switchable phono stage. Back in the day, all amplifiers and receivers had the phono stage built in. Modern devices don't because turntables are not that common. The Sonos doesn't have one. Luckily, the Denon does. The switch is underneath the turntable platter - I'm attaching a diagram.

Switch the phono stage ON. Denon calls this "EQ" which is about half way accurate :)

Then give it a try and let me know.

Regards.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Steve,
it was pre-set "on" when TT arrived and I left it on as I knew i was relying on built in pre-amp. I am getting a signal and having reset the settings on sonos app I am getting sound from speaker just disappointingly quiet

The pre amp may not be adequate. I use an external preamp like THIS ONE between my turntable (which doesn't have a preamp) and a Sonos Connect.

Amazon has a good return policy. I'd give that a try. When you get it, turn the EQ off in the Denon.

It works very well for me. I see no reason why it should work for yours.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thanks