Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  7+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a stack Kenwood stereo system circa 20 years old

Customer Question

I have a stack Kenwood stereo system circa 20 years old comprising AMP, 5 CD player, cassette player and automatic turntable. The turntable Model P-92 now appears to have failed. CD's and cassettes still play well but if I replace the turntable I would like a new model to allow records to be transferred digitally to my Apple iMac (and to be played through my existing AMP). Can you recommend how to achieve this? Also could cassettes achieve the same? I have already manually put my cd's into digital format. Steve
JA: What Kenwood model do you have?
Customer: Audio/Video stereo receiver KR-V9020, Cassette tape deck KX-79CW, Video/CD player DP-R8080V and the record player as my first message.
JA: What have you tried so far with your Kenwood system?
Customer: Nothing - the record player is kaput.
JA: Anything else you want the Audio/Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When may I expect an answer?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 days ago.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Please carry on with research
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your turntable question.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 days ago.

That should be easy enough. What you need is a USB turntable, of any maker and model of USB turntable that has Apple drivers or Mac compatibility.

It's just a matter of installing the driver for the turntable (it has to have a driver for your iMac's OS X version), and attaching it with a USB cable to your computer.

This video might be of use to you, also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC8cn8Q99AM

As for audio cassettes to digital, there are converter devices for less than $50 that will do that for you, for instance this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Cassette-Converter-Capture-Portable-Switcher/dp/B01IR2PZPW/ref=asc_df_B01IR2PZPW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=196289041660&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13006650920016825051&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1027116&hvtargid=pla-313754045259&psc=1

or this one:

https://www.hammacher.com/product/cassette-to-digital-converter-and-player?cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk5WjodiD5wIVAuiGCh0-WQBLEAYYASABEgLvmvD_BwE

I hope that this answers your question! Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 days ago.

You're welcome, and I hope that you will have a good evening! Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.