Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  7+ years of professional experience
13568747

Just connected a DRR-M31 after moving house. Using with

Customer Question

Just connected a DRR-M31 after moving house. Using with UD-M31. When we insert tape, carriage retracts, there is a whirring sound but tape does not move. Have lifted off cover to inspect and set if anything looked jammed. Spindles and head movement and unhindered. Any ideas?
JA: What device is frozen?
Customer: The DRR-M31
JA: How long have you had your DRR-M31?
Customer: 10 years
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Opened case. checked no parts were jammed. Checked head mechanism moved okay. checked tape spindles were free to move. Then switched on and inserted tape - same whirring sound and no motion.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 days ago.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your tape player / recorder question.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

I suspect that a drive belt (rather like a small black rubber band) that powers the tape spindles, has snapped, owing to age or other factors. This commonly leads to whirring noise when turned On, without any tape movement, owing to the drive belt being needed to transfer rotation of the drive motor to the spindle, to turn it and thus move the tape.

Opening up its interior, and looking for a snapped, or perhaps merely slackened and loose, drive belt, probably black in color, would be what I would do if I were working on this problem.

If you would rather not do that yourself, then please tell me how old the Denon is (in case it might be within warranty) and if you need locations of appropriate repair shops in your region, to contact, please let me know your local town or city and region, also.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Russell,
Thank you. In fact after some thought I had arrived at the same answer, but as getting to the underside of the tape mechanism looks complicated, I preferred to have your opinion before I did any more dismantling. The unit is able ten years old so well past its warranty. So just one last question. Where would you suggest I go to get a new belt? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you. Keith.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 days ago.

It is good to determine what belt, or what size, before ordering one.

If you meant, where to go to get the new belt put into the mechanism, that would depend on where you are located, please.