Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  7+ years of professional experience
13568747

My kindle won't connect to wifi to download the books I just

my kindle won't connect to wifi to download the books I just bought. The signal looks ok.
JA: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?
Customer: what is that? I have very little understanding of technology!
JA: The Network Technician will be able to walk you through that. Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?
Customer: The white light is steady. that's the only one on.
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have never had any trouble downloading in the past. My kindle is quite old.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Kindle e-reader tablet question.

I am sorry to hear that. I think that, given that your Kindle is quite old, you might perhaps have a Kindle that has failed somehow in its WiFi capability. (But, if you 'see' the WiFi that you are trying to connect to, then I think that it is not necessarily a failure.)

Have you tried removing the WiFi entry in your Kindle's Settings, Network Settings, Wireless Settings (more or less)? That can be done, usually, by holding down on that entry, until a menu appears with Remove or Delete on it.

Then close Network Settings, re-open them and/or Wireless Settings, and select your WiFi from the list that should appear there. And choose to Connect, then when prompted for the password, enter it very carefully, with attention to the difference between UPPER CASE and lower-case letters... please tell me how that goes.

I will advise you further as needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't download the books I just bought onto my kindle. In the past it has downloaded automatically when I have bought books. I get the panel which says unable to connect to wifi network. I have tried with and without password ***** same result.
I have reentered the password ***** but it still won't connect.

I am sorry to hear that. It does sound as if the Kindle, being old, has finally failed in a vital respect.

But to make sure I understand the situation, I must ask, please:

- does you get a list of WiFi networks to connect to at any time?

- is your device's WiFi turned On?

- and is the WiFi signal (as shown by 'signal bars') strong, also?