Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Is there an inherent problem with the Kindle Fire HD10

Is there an inherent problem with the Kindle Fire HD10 charging unit?
JA: What device isn't charging?
Customer: My fourth HD 10. On one occasion a bag I was carrying over my shoulder caught the lead and pulled it out but the Fire stayed on the table. Prior to this the unit had started to seriously heat up in the region of the battery on intermittent occasions. Finally.......
JA: How long have you had your HD10?
Customer: This is the fourth one (third replacement) but I cannot remember how long I have had it.
JA: What have you tried so far with your Amazon product?
Customer: I have had to change the cable (original wire split at entry to the charging end) and then had to remove it from it's case in order to get it to charge occasionally. The last time there was power and a display it actually showed that the unit was charging but in fact was not.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: If it is any help I have the box that it came in with some bar codes on the bottom of the red/orange sleeve.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.com. I am Russell, & I will try to give the right answer to your Kindle question.
I'm now typing your answer in <9 minutes. Thank you for your patience, in the meantime.

Kindle tablets and their charging system may have, or may develop problems, unfortunately.

- If you pulled out the cord by accident, that may have stressed the charging port on the Kindle. It might even be broken internally, and thus often or always refuse to charge.

If it does refuse to charge after such an event then the charging port may be repaired at any number of good electronics repair shops in your region. I suggest that you if you are interested in taking the Kindle to one of those shops, please let me know your local zip code, and I will provide you with addresses and contact information for the best-rated suitable shops in your region that might do this minor repair for you.

- As for the battery heating up, that is different, and might mean that you have a shorted battery, if you are using the proper charger that came with your Kindle originally. The battery might need replacing also in that case, another task which a local shop as mentioned above, might be able to do for you.

Let me know what you think, and I will advise and help you further. Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The battery nheating up on charging was an intermittent fault which started before the incident. That incident was about four weeks before the problem with charging began to manifest itself.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
For possible service my postcode is NR35 1AP.

OK. Yes, as for the battery heating up, that is different, and might mean that you have a shorted battery, if you are using the proper charger that came with your Kindle originally. The battery might need replacing also in that case, another task which a local shop as mentioned above, might be able to do for you.

I am searching for good repair shops for the problems you ask about, in that region. It will be about 10 or 20 minutes before I will have found all the shops of high rating that you might contact, and posted them to this case. Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay, so do I just sign off now and wait for a message on my phone with reference to the service centres, please?

There are these:

iPhone and iPad Repairs (-they might fix your Kindle too)

*****S,

Lowestoft NR33 0DS, United Kingdom

Opens 8:30 a.m. Tuesday

+44 1502 501651

or

- Phone Land

*****N,

Lowestoft NR32 1HA, United Kingdom

Open ⋅ Closes 6 p.m.

+44 1502 218270

or

- The Phone Hut

44 St Mary's St,

Bungay NR35 1AX, United Kingdom

Closes 6 p.m.

+44 1986 892486

Thanks - I hope that one of these can help... if not, please let me know.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much.

You're welcome. Good luck with it, and thank you, also.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello, no thank you. I am satisfied with the response and will take it to a repair centre next week once I've been paid.

A-OK. Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

Good luck with he repair centre and your machine.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The Phone Hut in Bungay do NOT even so much as touch an Amazon Fire/Kindle!!!

OK. (I regret hearing that.) How about the two in Lowestoft, please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
One of those in Lowestoft you only said might (?) repair my Kindle Fire. This plus my experience in Bungay (where I live) means I am not prepared to waste any more money (a 30 mile round trip at least) and at least half a day in time chasing a speculative answer. From start to finish (now) this has been one of my biggest wastes of money ever. I deeply regret ever having come across your site. I shall be buying an iPad - my daughter has taught herself to repair just about any faults etc with iPhones and iPads!!! BTW the only reason I "left a tip" was because I felt pressured into doing so, believing there may have been some further assistance with my current problem. Now that I know the unit will not be going back to Amazon (all 3 previous breakdowns were replaced FOC) I shall be investigating it myself.

I suggest calling the ones in Lowestoft, before going. That would eliminate overt refusal to consider service-repairing the Kindle in question.

I hope that you will have a good week, and please consider that I did try to help with this problem with your Kindle.