Cameron
Cameron, Customer Service
Experience:  Tech Business Owner/Photographer
106661857

Can you guys give advice on av surround sound set ups? no

can you guys give advice on av surround sound set ups?
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: no brnad as yet - want to get some advice on pair 2nd hand equipemt
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing so far
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Hi there, my name is Cameron & I’m a tech expert here with JustAnswer, an independent, paid support website. Making sure we can find the best solution or steps forward for you here are my top priorities and I’m reviewing the information you’ve given me now!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I ask that if you would like to provide a rating after this interaction, that this rating you give reflects my customer service only. If something outside of my service makes you unhappy, please don’t give a poor rating to me, as it reflects my service. Instead, please let me know what you’re unhappy with & I will make sure to provide the suggestion to those above me. Thanks so much for this in advance!

Yes we can provide this kind of advice for you! Please let me the type of setup you have or are looking to have in your home. Let me know the details of what you have so far and what you're looking to buy, including brands and model numbers just so I have as much information as possible to make these decisions and suggestions for you!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thx Cameron for offering to help :). I want to create an inexpensive surround sound 5.1 set up for both my TV and a projector at home, and small speaker sizes are a must. The two different out puts can either have a separate switcher or two outputs on the AV amplifier.
I’m thinking of buying some 2nd hand Cambridge audio minx mini20 speakers. The new ones are the mini22 and retail for £118 each. The mini £20 are about £45 each, so much cheaper. So 1st question is; is there much difference in quality between them – am I likely to even notice the difference? Can I mix and match the mini20 and the mini22?
Second question is what sort of sub-woofer? Does it have to be a Cambridge audio one or will any old sub-woofer do. If it does need to be a CA one, then what sort of model?
Third question is what is a good quality 2nd hand AV receiver to go for? It must have at least 5 HDMI inputs and at least one HDMI output.
Finally – I have also been considering some 2nd hand Bose cube speakers instead – but the forums suggest these need to be paired exactly with the correct base unit – is this your experience or is it possible to mix and match.
Mny thx and I look forward to hearing from you.
Best,
Chris.

Thanks for all this info Chris! Give me a few minutes to finish up help another customer and check out your information here and I'll get back to you shortly with some responses to these questions!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, no rush and many thanks.

Ok I'm back! Typing out my answers now!

1) I don't think the price jump between the Mini 22s and Mini 20s are worth the negligable upgrade in quality, I would go with the Mini 20s!

2) Any subwoofer that is around the same age as the Mini 20s or newer should work! I would check Facebook Marketplace for this to see what you can find, I bet you can find a good deal for a sub there.

3) As far as an AV receiver, you really can't go wrong with Yamaha or Sony, they're top tier in this AV receiver market. Again, Facebook Marketplace is a great place to look for these, but if you want something new then I understand that & I would check both of those brands in person to decide which one is best for you. Most of the more modern receivers will have 4+ HDMI inputs and all should have an HDMI out.

4) I would not recommend pairing Bose equipment with non-Bose equipment. Technically it CAN work, but the exclusivity of Bose products causes issues and the connection always ends up being less than it should be between Bose & non-Bose systems. If you go with Bose essentially, everything in the system should be Bose. I guess that's why they charge so much and how they can get you to commit to their brand.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
great advice - mny thx Cameron. That answers my questions for now. I'll reach back out once I have done research on teh Yamaha and Sony AV recievers.

No worries, happy to answer any other questions you have!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Cameron, I have found an old YAMAHA RX-A810 for £290 on ebay. The model appears to be about 9 years old. There appear to be mised review, some saying great ennrty model, others saying abit lacking. Do you think will work well with teh CA speakers, or do you suggest at this price point finding something a bit newer with a lower spec? Mny thx, Chris.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
another couple of options I have also found around this price point are Denon AVR-X2200W, Yamaha RX-A1010 and Yamaha RX A1030. So your thoughts on which you would go for please.

I would likely recommend the Yamaha 1010 if you can get it for a good price! Otherwise the Denon is a good choice as well.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
am nearly therr with the surround sound set up - managed to get the CA speakers and the amp (a bid on the yamaha RX A1030 was sucessful) - now to the the speaker wire, will 16-Gauge Speaker Wire 1.3 mm² be OK?

Based off of memory, I believe yes that's okay but you should check the speaker paperwork to double check this before purchasing.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK, will do. Mny thx Cameron.

No worries, happy to help! Good luck!

And if you don't mind and you were thankful of the service I provided, I would appreciate you leaving me a positive review between 3-5 stars & accepting my answer. You can do this on the top of this page or in the emails we send you. Thank you so much for choosing us here at JustAnswer!