Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Technical expert, from computers to custom home theaters
59725966

Our projector is in standby mode and we cannot get it to

Customer Question

Hello, our projector is in standby mode and we cannot get it to switch on
JA: What device is not powering up?
Customer: Infocus projector
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: I am not sure of the exact model it is a few years old
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Every button on the remote!, we have unplugged it several times the power light just comes on and off
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am trying to find the make but struggling
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.
Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you. 

A few quick questions to help me best help you:

What is the complete Model Number? (you will find this info on a sticker on the back of the projector)

Are you seeing any lights/indicators on it? (color, solid/flashing, pattern, etc)

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It is an Infocus Envidia 3DTV projector, the power light comes on for a few seconds solid and then goes off for a few seconds - 5 seconds approx
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do you need anymore information from me? I would really appreciate any help you can give as we have customers in for training and cannot use our projector. Thank you.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Nathan, are you receiving my responses?
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Hello, sorry I missed you last night, I"m in the US on a much different time zone and was offline for the night when you replied.

Could you look for the actual model number? What you sent is just a partial series/type, there should be a number like 

IN3138HD for example. 

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello, no problem. It is IN3138HDa, I am in the UK, so getting near the end of my day now but I might have a chance to look at it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

You should have indicators for power, temp, and lamp, can you tell me what each of those are doing?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I only see power and that comes on for 5 ish seconds and off for 5 ish seconds
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I checked it and those indicators do not come on at all
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for checking,

Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. 
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the projector, not the remote) for 30 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 30 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units just isn't feasible. There are few parts available for them any longer and labor alone be about as much as a new model.
I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you for your feedback.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will try what you have suggested. Thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 16 days ago.

You're welcome