How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 48765
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I suffer from ingrown hairs when I shave, normally I am able

Customer Question

I suffer from ingrown hairs when I shave, normally I am able to deal with them and get the hair out the follicle so it can heal, but I have a couple where I couldn't do this. What has happened is they have gone past the stage where they are sore and filled with pus and have healed over completely so now there is a hard lump where the hair is trapped. The skin has completely healed over them to the point where I can't see the hair, I can only feel this hard bump. any advice on how to deal with these?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

the only way to deal with this is to see a surgeon and get the infected hard area cut into and drained to allow the infection out. if you don't do this, the hair will continue to grow and grown and irritate the area and the area will never heal.

do you have a doctor you can see to talk about incision and draining the infected area? you might need a course of antibiotics as well