How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 19453
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Hi, i would like to know if i can get some help as i have had

Customer Question

Hi, i would like to know if i can get some help as i have had a problem for a number of years with the skin underneath my eyebrows. The problem came from a couple of years ago when i bought a eyebrow nutrional cream from china off the internet , and applied it to my eyebrows. Once finishing the the tub of cream the skin around my eyebrows became really flakey and when i sweat or go near water the skin peels off all the time . As you can imagin this is emabarrassing for me and has an effect on my confidance, and has been for a number of years , so i would really appreciate some advice please.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Do you know what was the active ingredient in the original cream from China?
Have you tried anything beyond the moisturiser?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I haven't tried any other creams , I have never had any chronic conditions whatsoever . I spoke to the supplier myself and told them about the condition and they said it may have been caused from bacteria in the skin . Also I am not taking any chronic medication
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Does the package (or the supplier) say what are the active ingredients in the nutritional cream?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I will have find out later this afternoon
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
That's fine. You can just leave this unanswered until you have the information. If you reply, even to just tell me when you will have the information, the system will require that I respond to your post before I can do anything else in the system. If I am not online when you reply, I will reply as soon as I am back online.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Refined from various herbal plants, AEN is fortified with trace elements and 21 kinds of Multi-Proteins --contains an array of Glucogenic Amino Acid group, Heterocyclic Amino Acid group, aminoisocaproic acid, 2-aminopropionic acid, phenylalanine, etc.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Well, that did not take long at all.

The components of the cream would typically be very well tolerated. Complete proteins can trigger allergic reactions, but the amino acids and amino acid derivatives do not have the complexity to stimulate an allergic response.

The supplier is referring to one of the possible mechanisms by which reactions can occur, specifically one of the possible mechanisms of causing eczema or blepharitis is a reaction to sources of protein on the skin, including to bacteria on the skin. If this is true, then the only reason why it would have started when this cream was started would be if the cream had become accidentally contaminated. It is rare for creams to become contaminated, but it can occur.

It is also possible that the reaction is a coincidence. Even if people react to a cream, the reaction will usually resolve once the cream is no longer being used. In your case, since the reaction has persisted for a couple years after using the cream, it is more likely that it is unrelated to the cream.

There are a couple of other considerations in this case. It could be a form of eczema, which is a chronic form of skin inflammation, regardless of whether it is reacting to a bacteria or another allergen. Some people can get these symptoms from blepharitis, which is due to inflammation of the eyelid, and particularly the glands in the eyelid.

Although it would require a proper examination to determine the cause, there are a couple of home interventions that you can try. It may help to take an oral antihistamine. It also would be reasonable to apply warm compresses to the eye for about 10-15 minutes, followed by gentle cleansing of the eye, and then application of the moisturising cream. If it persists, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I think I penciled abit of my eyebrows whilst using that cream , which might of reacted , it was a normal l e d pencil
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
It certainly is possible to react to an eyebrow pencil, but it also will typically will resolve when the pencil is no longer used. Even with the use of the eyebrow pencil, it still would be appropriate to follow the interventions noted above.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So what would be the first step to solve this problem then ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
The first step would be to try the home interventions noted above.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I take oral antihistamine now for my gay fever (laratadine) I think it's called . Can you describe in abit more detail about about the home intervention thing please
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
The loratidine is an appropriate antihistamine. Warm compresses can be done by soaking a wash cloth or a small towel in hot water and placing it over the eyes and leave in place for 10-15 minutes. After the compresses are removed, then the face, including this affected skin, can be washed with soap and water or a facial cleansing cream. The skin is then dried and a moisturising cream applied to the area.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Lol I ment hay fever. Can I use any skin moisturiser and cleanser and how long should do this for
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
I inferred that you meant hay fever. Yes, any cleanser and skin moisturizer can be used.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And how many times per day/week do I do this for ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
That would depend upon your schedule. Most people that have standard jobs would only be able to perform face hygiene twice a day, and this should be incorporated into the face hygiene routine. If your schedule is more accommodating, performing it three times per day may be more effective.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

should this be done for how long ?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
It depends upon how you respond. If you are gradually improving, then you should continue to do this for however long that it takes for the problem to resolve. Since this has been a problem for years, it may take some time for it to resolve completely. If there is no improvement at all over a couple weeks, then it would be appropriate to see your physician.