How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 48746
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

I have a small cluster of spot type things with small holes

Customer Question

I have a small cluster of spot type things with small holes a the top (almost like pin pricks). It is on my back slightly lower than my armpit, my skin is red around the cluster however I have been itching it occasionally (it is very mildly itchy). I have linked a photo of the cluster here:

What is it? Do I need to do anything to make them go away? Should I be concerned?

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it looks like a folliculitis infection of the hair follicles or a skin fungal infection.

best to see a doctor to get a skin culture to know what it is

you can try over the counter antifungal cream like clotrimazole 1% on the area twice a day for 2-3 weeks and see if that helps

there are also over the counter antibiotic creams like neosporin you can try.

it doesn't look like typical eczema. sometimes 1% hydrocortisone cream for 1-2 weeks can help decrease inflammation and itchiness as well

avoid scratching the area.

but do see a doctor to have the area tested and evaluated.

that is always best

let me know if you have questions.