How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I have started getting large dark patches of skin

Customer Question

I have started getting large dark patches of skin discoloration on my face. It is getting worse. Mostly on my cheeks (upper cheek bones) and top part of my forehead, I grew up in the Caribbean therefore I presume it is sun damage. How can I get rid of this please? I have used Clinic products but has been a waste of money.

I have to use concealers and bronzers every day as the patches are so large they are hideous and depressing.  I use to have very clear skin and used practically no makeup.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If it is from skin damage there is no way over the counter you are going to get rid of this.
You need to see a dermatologist for a hydroquinone based cream at prescription strength with careful monitoring by the doctor.
There are other techniques as well, such as microderm abrasion and laser.
But that is only you have an exam and diagnosis.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.