How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 36092
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have been getting acne around my chin and sides of my

This answer was rated:

Hi I have been getting acne around my chin and sides of my mouth. It seems to be worst on the sides of my chin, which I have heard to be to do with hormones in women. I went to the doctors and he didn't seem to know much about it and said I should come back without makeup, but I am too embarrassed as I am a student on campus and don't want to see people I know! I asked him for the Pill and he said that he couldn't give it to me without a proper diagnosis.
The rest of my face is pretty clear apart from my forehead where the spots are much smaller and less red and only occasionally become inflamed. I used to have clear skin until just over a year ago (when I was 18). I would say my problems started at 17 and really took off at 18 and a half. The spots themselves used to be very large and oily and sore at 18 but now they are smaller and less oily, just red, inflamed and tender and they can take weeks or months to properly disappear. I also think that I have more of them now. Skincare products don't really make a difference, and I can't use many chemicals as I have sensitive skin. Also salicylic acid makes my skin peel.
Another thing I might mention is that I was diagnosed with IBS at 16 and I still have it. Perhaps I have a kind of food intolerance?
My dad also had acne at that age, but I find it strange how I used to have such clear skin, and a lot of my skin is still very clear.
Any advice?
Thank you,
Hello Sophie,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
Hi and sorry for the delay. Are you asking what to do about this without having to see a doctor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, well I can see a doctor, but I don't want to go without makeup. I could take pictures? I just want a first opinion so I know what to discuss with my doctor and what other things I can do, as I often find that I have to be assertive with what I want from doctors, which means I have to have some idea of what I want/need.


Could you post a photo for me on this page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's not a good picture as I took it with my phone, quite blurry

Thanks. Would you be able to see another doctor--one you don't know at, say, a walk-in clinic?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not clicking the get extra help button, so by responding to you, is it correct that you aren't charging me this extra money every time you respond to me? Anyway, I'm not embarrassed about seeing the doctor, just about travelling there with no makeup on.

No, no extra charge for any extra time we spend here.

I understand your concern but the problem here is there isn't anything you can do on your own for this.

This looks like rosacea--a form of acne. If I were your doctor I would treat it with a month's worth of oral doxycycline and if that didn't do the trick I'd try you on the Yasmin pill.

Here's a thought--you could wear your makeup to the doctor appointment and then remove it before he saw you and then reapply it after he had seen you.

Let me know if you need to discuss this any further, otherwise please remember to rate my service to you

Dr. Chip, General pratice
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 36092
Experience: Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
Dr. Chip and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** try that and see how it goes

Keep in touch and again--please consider the rating