Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

My son is 22 and has terrible eczema since childhood... His

My son is 22 and has terrible eczema since childhood... His skin is in a bad state mainly his face but his main problem is the itch.... He has been started on antidepressants and he says that all of his problems stem from his skin.... He finds sleep impossible and I hear him up at least every hour patting the skin on his face.... He takes anti histamines but these do not seem to work.... Is there a strong anti itch tablet available please

Hello, and thank you for your question.

What medicines has been tried so far?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As a child he was diagnosed with osteomyelitis in his ankle... At aged 16 he was prescribed cyclosporin by dermatologist and developed osteomyelitis again in his upper arm and orthopaedic consultant said he should have never been given cyclosporin with his history.... He has also had methotrexate but not sure why he no longer takes.... He has had light treatment which was stopped as this just burned his skin.... He has had numerous creams occasional antibiotics and oral steroid treatments.... Current he is taking cetitizine for itch but this is having no effect

Thank you for the reply.

I am sure that he has already tried steroid creams for the eczema. nevertheless, please try once again by mixing a stroid cream like Cortisone , available OTC, with a good moisturizer containing urea like Decubal, Carmol 40 or Keralac . Urea is a very good moistiriser to treat dryness and itching.

He can also be prescribed non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory called crisaborole (Eucrisa) which is very effective in controlling the itching from eczema and also to clear the skin.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.