DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have Perioral Dermatitis around my mouth and nose have had

Customer Question

I have Perioral Dermatitis around my mouth and nose have had it for about 7 months now and I believe is due to hormonal changes due to the perimenopause. I have been using diluted apple cider vinegar for a couple of months now which does dry it up but it never completely clears.I do not want to take antibiotics due to adverse affects suffered in the past. Is there a cream you can recommend?ThanksAndrea
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 month ago.

Hello Andres! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please attach a picture of the rash here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hope you can see, I have the same on the other side too and in the cracks of my nose.

Is there any itching over it ?

Can you send a more clear picture if possible?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not itchy no.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Today is a good day, sometimes it’s really red, it changes so quickly!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?

Have you been to any dermatologist yet for an examination ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

Thanks for the information

As you know that the most suitable treatment could be Doxycycline or Minocycline

But as you are concerned about the side effect than your option is a photodynamic therapy

There is a limited role of mild steroid like hydrocortisone but ideally it has to be avoided over the face due to risk of skin atrophy

Isotretinoin has also been effective in such cases

If these are not effective immunomodulator like tacrolimus and pimecrolimus can be tried

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Please do let me know if you have any other question

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating