wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I went to Spain for a few days last week and when I got home

Customer Question

Hello. I went to Spain for a few days last week and when I got home I noticed a rash appear on my lower legs. It seems to be from the knee down and I have no idea what it is, or what it was caused by.
Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: There is no swelling but it is itchy and quite red. I went to see the Doctor this morning and she did't know what it was either which has raised my concern.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing I can think of apart from I do sometimes suffer from anxiety and I am currently taking anti-depressants (Cytalopram 10mg). Apart from that I am usually fit and healthy
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 6 months ago.

How old are you?

M/F?

Can you upload some pictures of the rash?

What have you tried so far to make things better?

Is it anywhere else on your body?

Is it both legs? How much of your leg is covered?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am 56. Male. I went to the Pharmacist and he said to try Eurax Hc Cream. I have applied that and it does make the rash less irritating but it doesn't seem to have had any effect on reducing the actual rash itself. It seems confined to below the knees and the front side of my lower legs/shins. Both legs, although the right leg appears to be most affected. I don't have any general medical problems apart from the odd bout of heightened anxiety. I am currently taking anti-depressants (10mg Cytalopram). I only became aware of the rash on Monday night (16.04.18) upon returning home from a few days away in Spain. I saw a GP this morning and she doesn't know what it could be so I am very worried about this now. Hope you can help.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information and pictures

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 6 months ago.

Well, now I know why pharmacists don't do surgery or treat people in hospital ;-)

That looks like a hemorrhagic dermatitis.

This can be caused from many conditions: virus infection, tick bite, systemic infection, severe vascular problems....all sorts of things....

The bot***** *****ne?

You really need to see a doctor -- today would be good -- for a complete exam, some lab tests and a good going over.

If you can't see your doctor today (since I think it is already afternoon on your side of the Planet) a visit to A&E would not be unreasonable.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 6 months ago.

Sorry. I just noticed that you went to the GP today.

If she just said "I don't know what this is...thank you for coming, see the receptionist on your way out" then, if she is not referring you to a dermatologist right away, I'd go to the A&E hoping to get a bit of more in-depth medical care....

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know what the doctors figure out.

I wish you the very best.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My GP has recommended that I go for a Blood Test on Monday and we will take it from there. Your response put me into a bit of a panic and I am really hoping that this rash it not as serious as your diagnosis suggests. A possible condition could be exercise induced vasculitis rash (Golfers Rash) apparently which appears to be a common condition particularly amongst the over 50’s. Do you think this is possible? It would explain the exercise in warm conditions when I was away in Spain last week. Thanks.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 6 months ago.

Sounds like your GP is doing the right thing.

There can be many, many causes for your rash. Some of them no big deal like "golfers rash"

But the bot***** *****ne?

The rash need a workup to be sure, which your GP is going to start Monday....

Make sense?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I really don’t think that you have been very helpful on this so I’m not sure what I am supposed to be recommending. Your first response made my anxiety worse by your suggestion that this could be something more serious than I had initially thought and when I told you what my GP had said you basically agreed. I contacted you originally as my GP was uncertain about the condition and I wanted a second ‘expert’ opinion from a Dermatologist and a solution/recommended treatment. I could have got the information you provided from Google Images for free. You seem more concerned about me rating your service than actually providing the diagnostic service in the first place. I had a blood test this morning and awaiting the results of that. Thanks.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 5 months ago.

.