wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

The nails on my big toes on both of my feet seem to have

Customer Question

Hi, the nails on my big toes on both of my feet seem to have gone very thin. I noticed this morning when a red mark appeared under the big toe nail on each of my feet, almost the same on each side. The ends of the nail seem very thin where this red mark is and the nail seems to come away with little effort.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 17 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 17 days ago.

Can you upload a picture of your toes?

Are your nails more fragile? What makes you think they are thin?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi, thanks for your response. I think they are thin because when I press the end of the nail I can feel it far more than usual, and if I pull the end of the nail it tears where as usually the nail would be much harder to tear. Photos attached. You can see the red areas under the end of the nail and the damage at the end of the nail where it is so thin it has torn away. I have added photos of the left and right large toes as they both have nearly identical issues. Thanks
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for that additional information and pictures.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 16 days ago.

I can see what you are talking about.

There are some easy things you can do at home to help:

1. Soak your nails in warm water daily then apply a good moisturizer (there many brands available) to your toes and nails.

2. Stop messing with your nails. Let them grow out to the end of your toes and then gently trim them

3. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet.

4. If you frequently swim in a chlorinated pool you might want to stop or go less often for a bit.

5. Take a biotin supplement.

If this doesn't clear things up in a few months you might want to have a complete exam by your doctor as there are some underlying medical conditions, like hypothyroidism, that can affect your nails.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS