Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My five week old baby has a bad rash on her face it seems to

Customer Question

My five week old baby has a bad rash on her face it seems to be getting worse. Have been to see my doctor twice now with this one said it’s acne One said it’s eczema. She has now spots appearing on her arms and legs.I need advice on how to care/treat her skin and diagnosis of what this is.Thank youFrancheska
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please see attached pictures
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

it could be a viral infection rash

or eczema or a reaction to food. I see she is breast feeding.

it could be a reaction to something you are eating which is getting into the breast milk.

you should keep a food diary of what you eat which may be affecting your milk.

have you tried calendula cream or 1% hydrocortisone cream for her face to see

does she have fever? scratching at the rash?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She does not scratch at her face and doesn’t seem to be bothered by it. She is feeding and sleeping well. My usual diet is porridge with fruit in the morning made with full fat cows milk, sandwich and yogurt for lunch ham and may, some fruit, afternoon fruit smoothie with almond milk and peanut butter and hen chicken salad, roast dinner, pasta dish, fajitas or something similar for dinner.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried 1% this morning and has seemed to make it worse. Last night I used epimax emollient and again that seemed to make it worse. I use diluted coconut oil in the bath water. I do not use any soap of any kind. I use fairy non bio detergent and conditioner.

it may be a viral rash that she has and she is fighting off a viral infection

you can try cutting out gluten and wheat and bread and pasta out of your diet and see if that helps her rash.

that is good she is not scratching and has no fevers.

less likely eczema

you can try some mild calendula calming cream on her face which could help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you will try that and see if it makes a difference for her.Is coconut oil the best thing to use in the bath or would an liquid parrafin more suitable?Thank youFrancheska

coconut oil virgin unrefined is the best to use on the skin after bathing

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com