DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have a black under my little toenail which I can’t explain

Customer Question

Hi. I have a black mark under my little toenail which I can’t explain as there has been no trauma to the area and I would like to rule out melanoma as I’ve heard that a black nail can be a sign
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

Expert:  DermDoc replied 2 months ago.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Please upload a picture to review.

Is it getting bigger in size?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Ive not noticed whether it has got bigger as I only saw it for the first time yesterday, as I usually wear nail polish so I’ve not noticed it. I have uploaded a photo. Thanks
Expert:  DermDoc replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

I have reviewed your picture.

Well as you describe, There is a small risk of melanoma.

Melanoma lesions rapidly increase in size, gets darker fast, they bleed easily and their borders look irregular.

It sounds like Subungal Hematoma and fungal infection as you have yellowish and raised toenail.

Your doctor can easily confirm the diagnosis with a simple test called nail clipping for fungal examination. The nail plate can also be sent for fungal culture. If either one of these is positive then onychomycosis is confirmed.

The treatment that you can get over-the-counter, is medicines like Clotrimazole/Terbinafine/Tolnaftate.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.