dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I’ve got a rash on my skin for one week now, it started last

Hi I’ve got a rash on my skin for one week now, it started last Sunday after a long run. It’s all over my neck, chest, back, belly, shoulders. Nothing on my lower body. It’s uncomfortable but not really itchy. I was in Poland for work, went to see a doctor on Thursday and i have been since then putting cream with cortisone and taking antihistamine tablets. Nothing has changed and it actually got worse as I have noticed new area covered with 3D red spots.
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: One week now.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really, maybe after colder shower it feels slightly better

Hello. I am a Board Dermtologist Dermatologist. Is it possible to forward a photograph or two?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’m trying to send a few pictures the it doesn’t work..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It’s working now

Got it.

Do you take any oral medications?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Before Thursday no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From Thursday the doctor gave me telfexo to take in the morning, delortan in the evening and hydrocortisonum to put on my skin. But no change at all, actually even worse.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Trying to send another picture
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It’s similar all over my upper body, nothing at all on my face or below my belly

This looks like an allergic type reaction. Probably to something you ate. I don't think topical cortisone will be enough. Unless there is a reason otherwise ( like a stomach ulcer or diabetes) I would recommend oral steroids such as Prednisone.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible it’s been 7 days I’ve got that on my skin. Or am I suddenly allergic to something I eat everyday? Even that I can’t see what it could be?

It may be be something you eat everyday such as a preservative. Do you have a rash on your palms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don’t have diabetes or other disease, not that I know. How could I find out what I’m allergic to? Can I go for a run?

Do any of these places have scale?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My neck is slightly itchy / burning and it seems a little dry but not excessively

My first thought was a type of psoriasis but I did not see scale. Did you have a sore throat while you were in Poland?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, no other symptoms
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That’s my neck on Friday
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have just looked up pictures of psoriasis it’s not as dry I would say

OK> That last picture really helped. It looks like a somewhat unusual case of Pityriasis Rosea. This is usually not quite as dramatic as your case but much of your rash and history fits.

We do not know what causes Pityriasis Rosea, though a virus has long been suspected. It tends to stay on the trunk and occasionally the upper arms. There is sometimes a find scale at the periphery which I only see on a couple of your spots. The neck shows it is what we call Bleschko lines.

The sun will help or sun tanning booths.. The anti-histamines really do not unless there is severe itching. I would recommend a stronger topical steroid but oral steroids only if it is itching badly. In my office, I always get a an RPR test for syphilis but frankly in my rather long career, I have yet to see a positive. ( The rash can look somewhat alike)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can pytiriasis rosea grow and get worse day by day?

Yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It’s good to stay in the sun with sunning lotion? W
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Topical steroids? Do I need to do anything else? How long will it lasts? Can I exercise as usual?

Sun does help this condition. It usually gets worse for the first two weeks. It can last 6 weeks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok hopefully one more week and then it will get better. At least I know I can stay in the sun. Is it ok to exercise even though it slightly burns when I sweat on the affected area?

Sweating tends to bring out itching with this. Exercise would be fine.

Avoid harsh soaps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much

You are very welcome. The good thing about this, is that it does go away and without scarring.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that’s good but can take up to 3months to disappear :( I’m worried that I’ll be covered with it soon!

One treatment that I personally do not use is an injection of steroid. One of my colleagues does use this and claims he gets very good results with it. I am more conservative. But if it does not seem to be remitting after a month, that would be an option.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you I will keep an eye and see in two weeks how it’s going.

Best of luck. If you have more questions, please feel free to ask them, if you are content I would be grateful for a nice rating. You can still come back and ask questions.