Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I have uneven red skin tone on my cheeks. I’ve been to my GP

Hi, I have uneven red skin tone on my cheeks. I’ve been to my GP and he said it’s not rosacea and he gave me Mirvaso Birmonidine but it only made the problem worse. I just want to know how I can improve my uneven skin redness
Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: I’ve had this for about 6 years. Warm weather, spicy foods and working out makes it worse
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Would you be kind enough to upload a photo or two of the affected area(s) please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Of course
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It’s not so bad today

Thank you, that’s really helpful.

I think you will get a good result from using Azelaic Acid Gel (Finacea) twice daily to the area. This can be obtained online (following a brief consultation) here.

Like all skin treatments, the results can take some time to come through fully so do stick with it. The evidence base for Finacea works off a 15-week treatment duration (but I’m sure you will notice significant improvements before this as well).

Does this help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does thanks, ***** ***** is the problem? What’s it called?

It is difficult to be certain based on the photo (that you very kindly provided) as it is not very prominent today. However, I can make out some increased redness and papules to your cheek. Also I note that it can alter in appearance based on various environmental factors. I know that you have stated your doctor does not believe this to be Rosacea, however I have to respectfully ***** ***** the factors mentioned above do make this the most likely diagnosis (though thankfully it is mild and I’m sure we’ll be able to treat it really well).

Is that okay?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ah ok thank you for your honesty. Is it only creams that can help or can microdermabrasion or skin lasers help?

I would avoid microdermabrasion, however laser therapy can be effective (though I would not suggest you need this at all currently).

You may find this information leaflet of some interest, particularly with respect to the self-management advice.