Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a very sore itchy scalp and have tried many different

Customer Question

I have a very sore itchy scalp and have tried many different shampoos also prescription steroid shampoos which sting and make it worse.
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: A long time! I have arthritis and suffer with my skin all over also, although there is never too much to see except a few patches on my scalp occasionally. It’s usually just flakes, redness and irritation.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take hydoxyquine and methotrexate and also have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. The maintenance of the skin is a nightmare and drying me crazy with the itch and burning.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

have you seen a dermatologist for a scalp biopsy?

you may have psoriasis of your scalp

which may need a steroid cream or shampoo for your scalp.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have seen a dermatologist but have not had a biopsy. All the medicated Shampoos I have been prescribed feel like they are giving me initial relief or sting straight away but then I end up with damaged skin from them including around the neck area. I have looked information up online and tried lots of shampoos recommend by people I had some relief with Eucerin & E45 but it was short lived. My hands are very bad also and I feel like the skin is thickening on them and my nails have changed/become very weak and fragile, very ridgy almost a little tender in the last few months.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

it sounds like psoriasis or eczema

you need to stop gluten and flour and sugar out of your diet which can help your skin