dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Need a dermatologist appointment and I dont know how to get

Need a dermatologist appointment and I dont know how to get one
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have previously and the GP gave me antibiotics which didnt work. I have been using benzoyl peroxide but it's not really working
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Yes, 2 years ago I used Retin A for a while together with benzoyl peroxide, my face got clear but the acne came back after about 3months
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: Since I was a teenager. No other skin concerns

I am a Board Certified Dermatologist.

I assume you are treating acne?

Is it possible to forward a photograph or two?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
its acne, hope you can see the photographs

Thank you for the pictures.There appears to be a fair amount of scarring and discoloration.

Is your skin dry or oily? Sensitive?

What is your age?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Its oily and yes I have a lot of scaring and discoloration...am 28 years old

Do you want prescription suggestions or just over the counter advice? Do you want me to remark about the scarring too?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I would appreciate some prescription suggestions and remarks about the scarring too

I would recommend Tazorac at night. There is a certain regimen with this. Start with the Tazorac cream 0.05. Put on Cerave PM moisturizing cream FIRST and the Tazorac over it . Dor three weeks use the Tazorac cream every other night. Then you can start using it every night. After that prescription has run out switch to Tazorac cream 0.1 and then go up to the gels from 0.05 to 0.1 the same way yu did the creams. In the morning I would recommend Finacea foam.

Orally, Focycycline 100 mg. twice a day and if you are not planning to become pregnant, Spironolactone 100 mg. in the morning.

Also, zinc gluconate 25 mg. twice a day, Vitamin C 500 mg. twice a day. and Vitmain A 2500 IU a day.

That was Doxycycline!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much, can I use finacea gel instead of foam? Also can the above treatment be effective without spirinolactone?

For the scarring. I would recommend a series of glycolic peels with ascending strength. Radiofrequency (RF) would be the next step up for scarring.

You certainly can use the gel. It is actually a bit stronger but many prefer the foam vehicle.

If your skin is oily though it should tolerate the gel just fine.

I apologize for the delay, but I was up in the mountains without cell phones. At an air bnb.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No worries, thank you so much

You are very welcome.

Do you have further questions?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just the question about spirinolactone, can the above treatment be effective without it?

Definitely!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Alright, thank you so much.

Thank you for the ACCEPT.