Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I have premature aging of the skin and would like to be

Customer Question

Hi, I have premature aging of the skin and would like to be prescribed tretinoin (retin a).
JA: The Dermatologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you been using Tretinoin? Any improvements so far?
Customer: I haven't used it in the past
JA: Have you seen a dermatologist about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have heard that it is a very effective treatment and wonder whether it is still available in the UK and also how I can get a prescription.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

How old are you?

M/F?
Can you upload some pictures?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good morning,

I am a 32 year old female. I have used retinol in the past, but would like go get something stronger. I would prefer not to upload a picture for privacy reasons. I'm just asking about the possibility to get it subscribed in the UK. Is it possible? Is it available?

Kind regards,
Malin
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

It is no longer available in the UK but here is a video that shows how to get some in the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwghuXy2-dI

Of course, you could travel to the USA or Mexico to get some.

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't really know how to respond to this to be honest. I have seen this video already. Are you certified in the UK?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

I am in the USA where that medication is easily available.....

I can opt out so that you can speak to a UK based MD who might be more helpful.

Have a good day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yes please
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 1 month ago.

Would you still like some help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes, please :)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am very much into skincare and my research show that Retin A (tretinoin) is a very effective treatment for wrinkles. I currently use Retinol, but would like to see if there is anything more effective I can use. Sources (on the internet) say that you can get this prescribed by a dermatologist in the UK. However, I have not been able to verify this. So, before I go and spend £200 on a private visit to a doctor, I would like to know whether this is even available in the UK.

Thanks,
Malin
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 1 month ago.

I don’t believe that Tretinoin is readily available in the UK any more, though I am certain that a private dermatologist would be able to provide imported products for you (at considerable cost no doubt) if this is what you really have your heart set on.

It is not an ideal solution, however a combination product Treclin (also containing the antibiotic Clindamycin) is available here that you could try if you wanted a way to compare the effects with Retinol:

https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/treclin-gel

A comparable effect could also be obtained by using Differin (Adapalene) available here:

https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/differin-cream

These options, although not perfect, will potentially be a lot more cost-effective for you.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 1 month ago.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much. Yes, this was exactly what I was referring to. I probably don't want to use antibiotics if I don't need to, but now I know the options.
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 1 month ago.

You’re very welcome, all the best.