Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

Im wondering if they can confirm if a venous lake on the lip

Im wondering if they can confirm if a venous lake on the lip which has only been there 2 months can be clear? A doctor checked it but i assumed they had to be blue due to the blood?
Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Not too bad, bit run down but nothing major
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not that i can think of

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

If you are able to upload some high quality photos of the area, I’m sure that I will be able to help.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your reply

Please can I confirm the area in question:

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
100% correct, its been there since about June if that helps.

Okay, many thanks.

I agree with you that this does not appear to be consistent with a venous lake.

May I ask if you can feel a lump there and if there are any other associated symptoms e.g. tenderness, itching, dryness etc?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No lump, its almost wrinkled skin like a blister. My doc used a magnify glass type thing to check it and was happy it wasnt bleeding, pussing or dry. It doesn't itch, my lips get dry anyway so thats ongoing. Ive tried antihistamine with no change. Sometimes its better in the morning and more noticeable as the day goes on
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If i push my tongue behind my lip it goes white
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will try and send a pic

Like I say, I don’t believe this is a venous lake. Equally, I don’t believe it is anything sinister to worry about either. I suspect there is some localised thickening of the skin here possibly following some minor trauma or inflammation to the area initially. Mucous cysts can present in the lip like this, but I really would expect to to feel a lump if this were the case (they are harmless in any case).

I recommend some intensive emollient (e.g. a urea-containing emollient such as Eucerin) to the area twice daily which should help to reduce the appearance over the next 2-4 weeks.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I suppose i was worrying about it being cancerous due to skin thickening/blister symptons and it not going away. I just have concerns if its not a venous lake or a cyst, it is like a blister in the sense the skin pushes to the side like its fluid filled (ive tried to burst it but it won't), is something else being missed. But i suppose even lip cancers that start as lumps, blisters or thickening after a few months would turn. Does that make sense? I will buy some of the cream you mentioned thank you

I am extremely confident that this is not cancerous - these invariably crust and ulcerate.

If you would be kind enough to leave a positive feedback rating it would be greatly appreciated (it is the only way the experts receive any credit for the time spent helping people on this site).

I will still be here to answer any related follow up questions you may have.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I suppose i was looking at this (attached) and the lip thickening etc fitted and panics me as it doesn't always have to bleed, crust to be cancerous. Yes of course i will. Thank you

Yes, I understand, however it is extremely unlikely to be the case for a lesion of this size to display no other features at all (colour, crusting, ulceration etc).

There is nothing wrong with being referred to the MaxFax clinic for a biopsy/definitive diagnosis if things don’t improve as expected over the next few weeks. However, I honestly don’t believe you have anything to worry about here.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you very much. I know you see a huge variation and understand what you are saying. Thanks again

You’re very welcome, all the best.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You too
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry to bother you again but whilst i have your knowledge to hand could i check what i think is a freckle that has just come up on my lower lip next to the original lip trauma. Ive only noticed it recently and im 39
Thanks in advance
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hope its visible. Its darker then on the photo but doesnt appear well in pictures

The lip is out of focus in this photo, would you mind sending another one please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My camera is shocking, apologies

Can I confirm the location again please:

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes you are spot on (excuse the pun)

It is not in sharp focus but I agree that it has the general appearance of a harmless freckle (often referred to as a melanotic macule when present on the lip). Again, I don’t believe there is anything to worry about here, however it will be worth having a routine assessment with your GP for review (it sounds like they have a Dermatoscope) and observing for any significant change over the next 2-3 months.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok so its likely to be nothing to worry about but due to it appearing (or it may have been there for a while and got darker) at my age keep an eye for it getting bigger? Changing in anyway? Then get it checked?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Actually managed a clearer picture

Thank you, that is a bit clearer - the above advice still applies (routine GP review and additionally to report any significant change - size, shape, colour etc.)

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok is it ok not to review with the doctor until after Christmas as i have been so recently? Or should i go sooner in your opinion. Thanks

Yes, that should be fine (obviously go sooner if you notice significant changes though).

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes i will do. I will avoid google as well as Peutz Jeghers Syndrome comes up with lip freckles, plus i had 3 polyps so scared myself silly. Thanks