How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 7112
Experience:  30 years of primary care medicine
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now

I have a small mole beneath my arm pit and its turned dark

This answer was rated:

I have a small mole beneath my arm pit and its turned dark and scab like and its tender. Should I go to the ED?
Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Nothing. Health is fine
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No medical history
Hi. Can you take a picture of it and upload it so I can see it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not too sure if I grazed it or not
How long has the mole been there? Did it recently turn colors?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think I've always had this mole but around 36hrs ago I noticed it was tender and scab like and looks darker in appearance
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I realised this in the shower.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I go to the hospital?
A dermatologist would be the best specialist to examine the mole. But that will take a long time until you get to see one. So I would go to the hospital and have it checked. Maybe there’s a dermatologist on staff who can examine it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does this seem malignant to you?
It has some worrisome signs. Such as a recent change in appearance. It’s not round and symmetrical and has irregular borders. These suggest that it could be a melanoma. Doesn’t mean that it is. A dermatologist is the specialist who needs to examine it and take a biopsy. The ER doctors won’t do a biopsy. They can refer you to a dermatologist or your family doctor can.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But that will take some time and therefore could severely worsen? I am so scared about this and an appointment with my GP is not for another 3 weeks
That’s why I mentioned that an outpatient referral to a dermatologist will take a long time. I’d go,to the hospital and perhaps they have a dermatologist on staff who can examine you today or they can make a quick referral for you.
Ideally the sooner a dermatologist examines the mole the better.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks
You’re welcome.
I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit. Thanks
Dr. Mark and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you