Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

My wife have been having itching nearly for a month in the

Customer Question

Hi Good day my wife have been having itching nearly for a month in the evenings mostly. She was getting hives. Today her lips got swollen . Now its night time. What can she do? She has taken 1 tablet catrizine 10mg
Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: A month and a week now
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: She has high pressure diabetics and taking meds for thyroid
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

Hello. Is your wife having any trouble breathing? Any wheezing, cough or shortness of breath?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are u calling?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

I'm not in a position to make a call right now, but i will stay with you in chat until your questions are answered.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

The swollen lips suggest that she is reacting to something that touched the lips such as a food, drink, soap, etc. Taking cetirizine makes sense. This should help quite a bit though it can take 30 minutes or more to see the benefit. She might also consider taking some benedryl (diphenhidramine) if you have it. You can also try applying cold compresses to the lips to reduce the inflammatory process.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

Yes, I'm here.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She did cold compress
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Cancel the phone call charge
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sugar test shows 228
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can she take her pills for sugar and pressure?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

Yes, she should take her usual medications, unless you suspect that one of them is causing her reaction. This is very unlikely if she has been on them for several weeks or more.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Any other way to bring swelling down , she also got hives on the waist it was small boils initially , lus swelling on hand and thighs
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
This usually occurs in the evenings after 530 in the evenings very occasional at the days but mostly in the night
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

Does it follow dinner? shower? exercise?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It starts anytime not concentrating on her activites
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

I see. So you have not been able to identify any triggers for her hives? a type of food? drink? soap? laundry detergent? hot shower? cold weather? There are numerous potential triggers for hives, eczema, itchy skin, etc. When one is able to identify one or more triggers and eliminate them from the environment, the hives typically go away or get less severe. If you can't identify any triggers, you could ask your doctor to send her to an allergist for testing. They can usually help to identify what a patient is allergic or sensitive to.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What meds are okay in such a scenario?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

Antihistamines and oral steroids are typically used to reduce and control the symptoms of allergic reactions such as rash, itch and swelling. Other medications can safely be continued unless they are suspected to be the cause of the allergic symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

Does this make sense?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 16 days ago.

Hi there. How's your wife's condition? Any improvement?

Let me know if you have any follow up questions?