Precious Osula
Precious Osula,
Experience:  GP at NHS/Private
106915327

I have been suffering from rosacea for a couple of year and

Hi, i have been suffering from rosacea for a couple of year and progressively getting worse. My GP has given me the various gels and creams, none of which have worked. i was then given doxycycline 100mg for 2 months which cleared my face however within 2 weeks of stopping this, my rosacea has come back worse than its ever been. i now have spots on my forehead which i never had before, as well as this, i now have spots all over my face and redness on my cheeks. My gp referred me to a dermatologist and ive now been given ivermectin 10mg cream which i have been applying twice a day - this seems to be drying out my face however not seeing any improvement. Please can you assist what can be done as this is now impacting my confidence and self esteem. many thanks
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: 2 years on and off but this time its the worst as i now have lots of spots too
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i have autoimmune hepatitis of liver. im on azerthiropoine tablets

Hi, I'm Dr Osula ad can help with your query. Are you avaialable?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
hi , yes i am

Ok, the original treatment you were on, Doxycycline is actually the most effective treatment out of all you've had so far. However, you'll need to be on it for 9 to 12 mths as thats how long it takes to treat the rosacea effectively. If stopped too early, it can always come back as happened in your case.
This as well as avoiding triggers like stress, alcohol, sunlight etc

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thanks, so i should take this along with the cream which has also been prescribed? do you think laser would help the delay in recurring? my concern of taking doxcycline long term is if there will be any impact to my immune system as i already have a suppressed immune system
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
did you receive the photos by any chance?

No, I did not recieve photos, not necessary in this case , as rosacea treatment is pretty standard
Doxycycline wont affect your immune system, though it can cause rash in prolonged exposure to sunlgiht

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’m still considering laser as an option. Is this something which has lasting results?

Results are good, but I cant say lasting as Rosacea can always come back after any type of treatment, so they're not curative just treatable