wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I am wondering if you have any experience and knowledge or

Customer Question

Hi, I am wondering if you have any experience and knowledge or Hidradenitis suppurativa
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I have but it wasn’t very helpful. All the advises me was to “stock up” on antibiotics. I’m currently not taking any medications for it however I do have an underactive thyroid and I am taking levothyroxine and I’ve read that the condition is thought to be hormonal and linked to metabolism problems so I was wondering if there could be a link
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: the only things that I can think of is that I have an underactive thyroid and I was on the depo contraceptive injection however I stopped getting it around about a year and a half or so ago
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 days ago.

How old are you?

m/f?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Dr Rick, I’m currently 21 years old, 22 in 3 weeks. I am female and I have an underactive thyroid and take levothyroxine for it. I don’t have any other medical conditions that I know of, I sometimes have low folic acid and have to take medication for that occasionally but not always.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 days ago.

This condition is more common then you might think.
It tends to be more common in women your age.

Can you upload some pictures of the affected areas? Using a bathroom mirror can make taking clear pictures easier.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I don’t really feel very comfortable doing that since my effected area is my groin. I do have a lump under each arm too but they aren’t noticeable and don’t really cause me any problems
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 9 days ago.

OK.

I understand.

What have you tried so far to make things better?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I saw a dermatologist and a few different doctors and all that they suggested was “stock up on antibiotics” after being on antibiotics for the best part of a year and a half I didn’t follow this advice. I have tried turmeric capsules and a low cbd oil (legally) and I haven’t noticed any changes to be honest it’s just been progressively getting worse over time. I don’t notice any changes from what I eat though my diet is quite limited. I’m just finding it difficult to find any positive information from a reliable source. I have also tried bio oil to help with scarring which hasn’t made a difference either really. Of course the things I have tried I might not have tried for long enough.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 days ago.

Turmeric and cbd oil, as you have found out, will not help.

Here is a very good article from a highly respected source that you might find helpful:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hidradenitis-suppurativa/symptoms-causes/syc-20352306

It sounds like you may need some surgical interventions.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS