dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Second opinion] During lockdown I have come up with dark

Customer Question

second opinion] During lockdown I have come up with dark spots on my hand that were itchy but I have managed to subdue the itch. I just wanted to know what it may be and if I am able to get rid of the marks.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 14 days ago.

Is it possible to forward a photograph?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Yeah sure
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (QLLTQ64)
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 14 days ago.

This looks like Lichen Planus

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 14 days ago.

We do not know what causes it but in some ways it is felt to be auto-immune or maybe a reaction to something such as bacteria, yeast or fungus. However, that is speculation.

It tends to go away by itself but might take months to do so.

You can try Hydrocortisone ointment 1% which is over the counter but usually this requires a strong steroid. If you have a steroid cream around the house you can try that.

In the office, I often inject these and that usually causes them to go away.

Many authorities feel this can be associated with Hepatitis but in my career as a dermatologist, which now spans a couple of generations, I have yet to see a patient present with this problem and then find Hepatitis when I tested for it.

Some medications can cause this too in which case it is described as a lichenoid drug eruption.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 14 days ago.

Do you have questions?

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 11 days ago.

I hope I have helped.

If so, I would be grateful for a nice rating. If not feel free to ask me further questions.