M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

I recently started applying 5% topical minoxidil foam and

Customer Question

I recently started applying 5% topical minoxidil foam and felt very dizzy and disoriented. I have since stopped taking minoxidil and my symptoms have gone away.I do not want to risk my heart health but I also want to keep my hair if it is safe to do so.If I had this reaction of dizziness to 5% minoxidil, is it likely that 2% minoxidil will do the same? Would it be safe to try 2% minoxidil foam or is it best to avoid it?I am a healthy 26 year old male who exercises regularly.I already know about other hairloss options but I am interested in learning more about whether 2% minoxidil is an option for me.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 6 days ago.

Hi, I'm sorry to learn about the side effects you had. I think the 2% preparation could produce the same side effects, maybe to a lesser degree, but you would be better off to avoid it altogether. There are other options too for hair loss such as the medicines finasteride (Propecia) and dutasteride (oral medications). Please have a look at the resource below:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20372932

Please click the 5 stars on your screen to give a positive rating to my answer, it's very important for me, thanks.